Live Review: Bad Vibrations Alldayer, Shacklewell Arms, London (20/07/13)

telegrambadvibes

Bad Vibrations, a London-based music promotion company, have put on a series of all-day gigs in East London’s Shacklewell Arms, showcasing the best up and coming talent in the capital.

This edition saw The Shacklewell Arms play host to the hotly-tipped Telegram, the chaotic post-grunge of Crows and the chilled melancholy of Dignan Porch, amongst many others.

As is so often the case with these things, the timekeeping is a little relaxed, resulting in an hour delay before the first band, Oscar Suave, take to the stage. Fortunately, this doesn’t mean that sets are cut, or that bands can’t play: everybody just accepts a later finishing time. However, for Impact, this means that we have to miss the last two bands, Dignan Porch and Tripwires, in order to catch the last train home. Bummer.

_________________________

Rather than reviewing every band, here are the three that impressed us the most:

1. Crows

Despite previously knowing absolutely nothing about Crows, their noisy take on doom-ridden grunge was certainly very impressive. There were hints of raucous punk in their sound, think Iggy and the Stooges, but plenty of melodic hooks too. The stand out song was ‘Glamour Of The Gods’, with its spooky guitars and tribal drums. If they can find a way of keeping all six strings on their guitars in one piece, expect big things from them.

_________________________

2. Deep Sea Arcade

This Australian five-piece have been making waves across the UK this summer, supporting Charlie Boyer & The Voyeurs, as well as gigging extensively on their own. They play perfectly summer-y songs, most suitable for our current weather, inspired by baggy Madchester and 90s shoegaze. A very polished performance from a rapidly improving band.

_________________________

3. Telegram

The band that Impact had come to see. Whereas their gig at The Old Blue Last in June had shown us the songs, this set showed us that they can perform too. Ploughing through a set that included the likes of ‘Eons’ and ‘Follow’, this was a demonstration of their raw power as a band. They make no attempt to hide their influences, which lie firmly in 70s art-rock, but thankfully, Telegram are capable of writing songs that put them in a league entirely of their own.

_________________________

What a great way to spend a Saturday. With plenty more Bad Vibrations events coming up, I’d heartily recommend you checking one out. Expect to see the best new bands in the capital, whilst enjoying a hot dog and a margarita.

The next Bad Vibrations alldayer takes place at The Shacklewell Arms on 25th August, with a line-up that includes Impact favourites, Loom. Buy tickets HERE.

Alex Neely

…Alex has been listening to Childhood – ‘Solemn Skies’…

GigsMusic