Live Review: The Temperance Movement, Scala, London (03/07/13)

temperancemovementscala

Having only formed in 2011, The Temperance Movement have gained popularity incredibly quickly throughout the UK. A last minute drop out by a friend meant that I got a spontaneous opportunity to see this bluesy, soulful band, who according to their Facebook, aspire to be the next great rock and roll band.

Their supports were Samuel Taylor and Purson. The former was a sort of one man band, playing the acoustic guitar as well as singing and occasionally playing the mouth organ. He had an awkward but endearing stage presence, often explaining the story behind his songs. One exchange that I remember was when he explained that his last song was dedicated to Barry, his father’s ‘best friend and ally’. Isn’t that cute?

In contrast, Purson were much heavier. In terms of looks, they were a mix of hippie and goth, with a keyboardist wearing a matador jacket and a lead singer with jet black hair and makeup. With a female lead singer, they reminded me slightly of Paramore’s earlier days in terms of their musical style. It was just a shame that they didn’t talk to the crowd in between songs as it would have made them much more likeable and let the crowd get to know them a little.

After a short interval, the crowd were ready for the main event. I sensed that the majority of people were already fans as there was a lot of noise when the band ventured on. An all-male five piece, they definitely fitted the rock and roll stereotype, in terms of musical style, dress and stage presence: the lead singer even wore a hat and fur coat. By far my favourite moment was when they all stepped away from the electronics and microphones and all five of them just stood at the front of the stage with two acoustic guitars and sang a verse and chorus of one of their songs completely acoustic. It was something I had never seen before, all band members singing in five part harmony with two guitars – completely stripped back. It was also really refreshing to hear ‘pure’ music as the audience was completely silent for a minute and a half. Now that’s something that doesn’t happen often at gigs.

Although not usually my sort of band, The Temperance Movement have been added to my ‘To Be Listened To’ Spotify playlist and would recommend you all to if you’re yearning for some good old rock and roll mixed with a bit of blues.

Caroline Chan

…Caroline has been listening to 30 Seconds to Mars – ‘Up In The Air’…

GigsMusic