Festivals

Preview: Beacons Festival – 16-18 August 2013

Beacons Festival returns for its 2013 installment with another formidable line-up and the promise of enjoying the British summer weather amongst the rolling hills of Skipton’s Yorkshire Dales.

BEACONS-FESTIVAL-2013-Copy

Beacons sees itself as a complete Arts Festival, rather than simply a music one. In addition to the mouth-watering music acts that they have booked, there is also a large focus on alternative activities, such as comedy, dance and good dining.

The festival appeals to both families looking for an affordable weekend away, as well as hardened festival-goers of all ages, interested in both discovering new music and seeing the already established. With the recent change of venue hopefully ending the festival’s historic weather problems, Beacons Festival 2013 looks set to be the best in its history to date.

_________________________

Here are 10 acts you have to see during the weekend:

1. Wire

One of the most influential post-punk bands ever will treat Beacons Festival to new songs from Change Becomes Us, as well as classics from the likes of Pink Flag and Chairs Missing. Not to be missed.

_________________________

2. Savages

With one of the best albums of 2013 so far, Silence Yourself, and the most engaging live show on the circuit, Savages’ take on 80s post-punk is worth the ticket price on its own. Will change your life.

_________________________

3. Django Django

Fresh from headlining this year’s NME Awards Tour, now is the time to see Scotland’s quirky indie-dance outfit, Django Django.

_________________________

4. Temples

Being one of the most hyped bands of the moment, their 60s psychedelia is sure to attract a large crowd. Make sure you’re one of them.

_________________________

5. Childhood

Having toured extensively with Palma Violets during 2012, Childhood’s baggy-inspired shoegaze has earned them a rapidly-burgeoning reputation of their own.

_________________________

6. Wolf Alice

Progressing from twee indie-folk outfit to all-out grunge revivalists, Wolf Alice are set to become very big indeed.

_________________________

7. Drenge

Listening to The White Stripes and Nirvana whilst growing up has certainly left a lasting impression on this Sheffield-based rock duo. Raucous blues with bagfuls of tunes.

_________________________

8. Wet Nuns

Hotly-tipped Leeds rockers with loud guitars and biting lyrics. Expect sweat and noise.

_________________________

9. Gabriel Bruce

Slick Springsteen-inspired songwriter brings songs from excellent debut album Love In Arms to Beacons Festival. The sparkly diamond amongst the rocks.

_________________________

10. Splashh

London-based, but originally Australian, Splashh will be hoping for some British sun to complement their summer-drenched shoegaze.

_________________________

Beacons Festival takes place from Friday 16th to Sunday 18th August 2013, with the campsite opening at 4pm on Thursday 15th. The very accessible site is located near to Skipton train station, with regular services from Leeds and Carlisle.

Weekend tickets (£99.50) and day tickets (£35) can still be bought HERE.

Alex Neely

FestivalsLead articlesMusic