Live Review: Polterghost, Tipsy Bar, London (08/08/13)

polterghosttipsy

London-based trio Polterghost played their first ever show in a full to the brim Tipsy Bar, East London.

When you think of bands’ first gigs, you think of tiny backrooms in pubs, being watched by the occasional middle-aged drinker with nowhere better to go. You certainly don’t think of completely full trendy East London bars. Well, this is where Polterghost found themselves, and they certainly deserve it.

Polterghost aren’t an entirely new band. They’ve been around for a good few months now, and are set to release debut single, ‘Beast’, on Hate Hate Hate on September 9th. They’d also released a taster in the form of ‘Holy Smoke’ back in May. However, no matter how many practice sessions and demos under your belt, you’re bound to be nervous when it comes to your debut live performance. These nerves certainly didn’t show, resulting in a highly accomplished performance.

The band’s sound is pitched somewhere between the 90s garage rock of Guided By Voices or Pavement and the heavier, more guitar-driven sounds of classic rock or 90s grunge at its very peak. There are thrilling guitar solos, sludgy riffs and sweet, distorted vocals; all of which makes for a very loud and intense live show.

Within the full venue, there are members of Yuck, Parakeet and, reportedly, Bombay Bicycle Club. This just further points towards the promise that Polterghost have, generating such attention, despite not having released a single or even played a gig. ‘Holy Smoke’ stands out as best track set of the set, with its huge slacker chorus and nifty guitar solo, but there isn’t a dull moment all night.

If you want to get in on the action, Polterghost will support Loom at Camden’s Black Heart on 4th September. Definitely not one to be missed.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to Polterghost – ‘Holy Smoke’…

GigsMusic