Nottingham Gig Guide – September 2013

gigguideseptember2013

As students once more descend on Nottingham, this autumn promises to be a very busy one in terms of gigs. Inbetween dressing up as cavemen and necking 50p shots, come and check out some of these great bands.

_________________________

05.09.13 – Caitlin Rose, Glee Club

On the back of recently-released third album, The Stand-In, Caitlin Rose arrives at the intimate Glee Club to showcase her country-inspired songs and stunning voice. Don’t miss out.

09.09.13 – Shayne Ward, Rescue Rooms

Yes, THAT Shayne Ward. A former X Factor winner, Ward has since tried his hand at a variety of professions: iceskating, West End shows, and even music. Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms will see Ward at his spectacular pop best. Surely unmissable.

11.09.13 – Superfood, Bodega

With Peace and Swim Deep having left the B-Town scene behind, Superfood look likely to be the next on the list. Like their Brummie contemporaries, Superfood ooze a nonchalant and carefree spirit. Their eponymous debut single has Modern Life Is Rubbish written all over it and if that’s anything to go by, this gig really isn’t one to miss.

11.09.13 – Fuck Buttons, Rescue Rooms

After earning heaps of praise for recent album, Slow Focus, Fuck Buttons’ experimental electronica will arrive in Rescue Rooms. With a reputation for engaging live shows, come down and have a dance and a drink.

13.09.13 – The Smyths, Rescue Rooms

Donned with a perfect Mozza quiff and the riffs only Marr could dream up, The Smyths bring their meticulously put together performance to Rescue Rooms this September. Constantly hailed the world’s best Smiths tribute band, you do not want to miss their perfectly put together talent.

13.09.13 – The Wave Pictures, Spanky’s

The much underrated Wave Pictures have sadly never managed to break down the door to hit the mainstream. Their witty, jangly pop takes inspiration from C86 as much as it does Jonathan Richman, and really deserves more attention. Give them a go at Spanky’s and you won’t be disappointed.

14.09.13 – Wiley, Rock City

After this year’s generally well-received LP, The Ascent, British rapper, Wiley, will play at Rock City. Viewed as a pioneer of the British underground grime scene, this could be a show to brag to your friends about.

18.09.13 – The 1975, Rock City

The 1975 have been all over this summer, playing every festival known to man, from Glastonbury through to Kendal Calling. With the recent success of ‘Chocolate’, it will be unsurprising to see an incredible response when The 1975 take to the Rock City. As well as this, with the upcoming release of their self titled debut album, it will be a chance to see a varied set from the one earlier in the year at Nottingham’s Dot-To-Dot Festival.

21.09.13 – Swim Deep, Rescue Rooms

Like their Brummie buddies Peace, Swim Deep are all about feel good vibes and head-in-the-clouds lyrics. If recent festival shows are anything to go by, punters can also expect a rendition of Cyndi Lauper classic, ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’. So if light-hearted fun is what you’re after, Swim Deep are your band.

24.09.13 – 65daysofstatic, Rescue Rooms

Beginning as a math-rock band in a similar vein to Hot Club De Paris or Tall Ships, 65days have progressed into being one of the most influential and talented experimental post-rock groups around at the moment. Their Rescue Rooms show will provide the perfect opportunity to catch them in an intimate venue.

24.09.13 – Paramore, Capital FM Arena

Paramore are returning to the UK with a different lineup and a new style of music. Here to promote their new, self-titled album, expect to hear some gospel and electronica in their new songs, which still showcase the strong vocals of Hayley Williams. Their back catalogue provides the strong guitar riffs and heavy choruses for which they are famous. A great chance to see one of music’s biggest acts right now.

26.09.13 – Johnny Borrell, Spanky’s

Life can’t be easy when you’re the Razorlight lead singer. However, Johnny Borrell has managed to remain understated, humble and modest whilst never attracting undue attention. Catch this generation’s John Lennon in the intimate bar surroundings of Spanky Van Dyke’s.

30.09.13 – Saint Raymond, Bodega

One of Nottingham’s next big hopes following the success of Jake Bugg, Saint Raymond’s acoustic indie-pop is less indebted to Bob Dylan and more to the catchy pop of The Beatles or Mumford & Sons. With all signs pointing towards huge success for this Nottingham artist, catch him in the tiny Bodega before he outgrows it.

30.09.13 – Art Brut, Rescue Rooms

Emerging during the ‘indie landfill’ era, Art Brut have, surprisingly, managed to maintain their dignity. Their clever art-rock has earned the band a devoted group of followers, who will be in attendance at this Rescue Rooms gig. You should be there too.

_________________________

Alex Neely, Dan Jones, Ishmael Anwuri, Kamiah Overaa, Caroline Chan

GigsLead articlesMusic