Review – Despicable Me 2

The less than successful super-villain turned househusband and father of three returns to our screens for the follow up to 2010’s Despicable Me.  Masterfully titled as Despicable Me 2, the phrase money-spinner certainly comes to mind, but with plenty of minion action, this film is still a barrel of laughs.

Despicable Me 2

‘I’m havin’ a bad, bad, day’ was the opening line of the soundtrack by Pharrell Williams, who returns to produce the majority of the music. But in reality this film, just like the first one, is going to turn any bad, bad day, into a good, good day, just with a touch less originality and swagger.

Steve Carell pulls off another stunning performance (as is coming to be the norm with the comedy-master). His character has turned into such an utter-sweetheart since the last film that he is requisitioned (or kidnapped if you will, in one of the best scenes of the whole film) by the Anti Villain League, who contact him in order to catch a villain who is masterminding some terribly evil plot.

Despicable Me 1

Gru is teamed up with Lucy Wilde (Kristen Wiig), their potential relationship is clear from the beginning, much to the simultaneous excitement and disgust of his adopted children. The scenes in which they try to capture the super-villain produce some marvellous moments. However, with Gru now in the jelly making business (which is showing less success than even his career as a villain), a disgruntled Dr Nafario (again wonderfully played by Russell Brand – and it hurts me to compliment that man), and the minions mysteriously disappearing, they have their work cut out for them.

The brains behind Despicable Me must have realised that the minions, expertly voiced by directors Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud, stole the show in the first, because they are given an enormous amount of screen time. This time round though, they are integral to the plot, and the result is that they steal the show once again. That is not a complaint however, as the adorable little creatures are absolutely magnificent. The creators definitely deserve a the 21 fart-gun salute (which takes place during the film) for creating such brilliant characters.

Despicable Me 3

Despite a plot about as thin as Gru’s laughable twig legs, this film is a cracker. As an animation for kids, it comes close to perfection, albeit weaker than the original. Having watched the film at a preview, in a cinema filled with kids and their parents, I can assure readers that the kids loved it, and the adults were laughing as much as their offspring!

James Mason

Follow Impact Film & Television on Facebook and Twitter

Star-Rating-4-1-2-copy3