Review – The Internship

This brilliant brainchild of Vince Vaughn was apparently thought up whilst watching a news report on the Google tax-dodging scandal. Though this may prompt expectations of a negative image of Google, The Internship must have been 100% funded by the tech-giant in order to dispel any negativity, because it was pure propaganda – and really convincing propaganda at that. Well done Google.

The Internship 1

The coupling of Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn for the first time since Wedding Crashers will have raised many eyebrows, simultaneously convincing large proportions of the public to keep a safe distance between themselves and cinemas, and causing the rest of the mob to descend upon their nearest big-screen. After all, both of them have some cracking films to their names (Dodgeball and Marley and Me to name but two), but equally have some real flops, (Four Christmases and You, Me and Dupree, again to name but two). But in which category will The Internship fall?

The Internship

Despite the unsurprisingly easy to predict storyline, vividly re-calling the structure of Dodgeball, the film is truly enjoyable and absolutely hilarious. The plot is far from elaborate, and has been absolutely ripped apart by critics, having been described as the longest piece of advertising for a company ever. Yet the romance and feel-good/fingers down your throat part of the plot are merely a vehicle to deliver some excellent comedy. Both Vaughn and Wilson pull off cracking performances, and are supported magnificently by their misfit team of techno-nerds, who cover just about every minority, whilst also ticking every box on the comedy checklist. Well done Google.

Vaughn and Wilson play two veteran salesmen with an enviable bromance, they’re may be well endowed with life-skills but apparently little else. Described as ‘dinosaurs’ by their ex-employee (played by John Goodman), they soon realise that life-skills aren’t enough when they find themselves unemployed. Finding themselves left behind in the quickly advancing and technology dependent world, Vaughn searches ‘jobs for people with absolutely no skills’ into Google, setting the tone for the rest of the film.

The Internship 2

Ironically, the two men sign up for an internship at Google, with an against the odds chance of a job offer at the end. Upon meeting their arch-nemesis at the Google HQ, Graham Hawtrey (Max Minghella, with the most outrageous British accent ever), it is clear they have their work cut out. (By the way, what is it with all baddies being played by Englishmen?!) But this being America, everyone has a chance to achieve the American dream, and of course Google jumps on the chance to show themselves off as excellent employers. Well done Google.

Overall, this is a terrible film. But it is within the disgustingly simple and predictable plot that a comedy gem is hidden, and it is only with the most brave and dedicated cinemagoer, who is bold enough to go where most critics would not dare, that it is shared.

James Mason

Follow Impact Film & Television on Facebook and Twitter