Music

Thank God It’s Spotifriday #21

spotifriday21banner

With this weekend coinciding with two of the English musical calendar’s biggest events: the Reading & Leeds Festivals and the Notting Hill Carnival, Rob has created a playlist very much in the spirit of both (he refuses to accept Creamfields as a music festival).

Paying homage to the latter, the playlist opens with ‘Morning Sun’, a ska classic from the soundtrack to cult film, This Is England. Beastie Boys, who headlined Reading & Leeds in 1998, follow with ‘Intergalactic’. Blink-182’s cover of The Only Ones’ hit is probably the playlist’s guilty pleasure, followed by a wonderfully melodic tune from The Cure. A latino-sounding track from Crystal Fighters precedes QOTSA, whose live performances often include frontman Josh Homme abusing a member of the crowd. Gallows will be playing Reading for the sixth time this year, and, despite losing the charismatic Frank Carter in 2011, the band’s recruitment of former Alexisonfire vocalist Wade MacNeill has proven highly successful. Underrated hardcore group Title Fight appear before Alexisonfire, a personal favourite of Rob’s, close the playlist with ‘Born and Raised’ and a stripped down version of ‘Happiness By The Kilowatt’; recorded on their final release, the Death Letter EP.

Sheriff of Spottingham: Rob Harvey

spottingham21

MusicPlaylist