Albums

Album Review: Splashh – ‘Comfort’

splashhcomfort

Most albums these days are ‘highly anticipated’ but Splashh’s Comfort perhaps more so, as we’ve been waiting for this one since its initial July release date was delayed.

This four-piece, who originate from Australia and New Zealand but are now London-based, have been around for over a year gaining recognition with superb singles ‘All I Wanna Do’ and ‘Need It’.  While most of 2012’s buzz bands rushed to record and release their debut albums, Splashh bided their time and their patience is evident. Production-wise, the sound is sharper and more sophisticated than we’ve heard on previous lo-fi releases, but not so much as to detract from the charm and familiarity of the songs.

Although many clichés have been used to describe Splashh’s sound, there is no denying the certain hazy atmosphere created in all their songs. Album opener ‘Headspins’ sets the tone for the next 30 minutes: laidback, dreamy, psych-garage rock. There are many influences you could cite on this album, ranging from the obvious 60s psychedelic era to the recently-revived grunge of the early 90s, yet Splashh still manage to keep their sound modern.

There are even some surprises; ‘Green and Blue’ showcases a more sombre side to the band. Lead singer Sasha Carlson’s lyrics of feeling “hopeless” create a sense of isolation; distinct from the seemingly blissful, carefree attitude displayed in the first half of the album.

It is slightly disappointing to note that the first six songs from Comfort have been heard before, as either singles or b-sides. However, as a representation of the music Splashh have made since forming back in early 2012, it is successful. The last few songs especially, hint at the potential Splashh have to continue developing their songwriting skills whilst retaining the distinctive psych-grunge sound that we’ve grown to love.

Tasmin Chowdhary

…Tasmin is listening to Telegram – ‘Follow’…

AlbumsMusic