Albums

Album Review: The 1975 – ‘The 1975’

1975shitcunt

Don’t let the album title’s lack of creativity dampen your expectations for this album, because this is, quite simply, a fantastic debut from The 1975. The masterminded mix of electro-pop and breathtaking guitar work might take a lot of inspiration from 1975, but the end result bears more of a resemblance to the sound of 1985.

The Manchester-based lads (ah! That explains the sometimes difficult to understand vocals) have changed massively in their ten-or-so years on the scene – in sound, in membership, and even in name. Thank god they decided to stick with what they have created this time round, because they have struck gold. Forgetting what I have to say about them though, from the golden throne of number one in the charts, The 1975 have more than fulfilled the prophecy of the return of guitar music. This is perhaps what distinguishes them from the industry – the album is a breath of guitar-filled fresh air.

Their self-confessed ‘lack of identity’ leads to a real (and pleasant) mixed bag of tracks on the album, with the clear standouts being ‘Chocolate’ and ‘The City’. But not having the same track repeating 13 times (which plagues so many contemporary artists) can only be a positive. Incidentally, you get a massive sixteen tracks with this album, so even if, like me, you spot a couple of tracks that shouldn’t have made the cut, there is still an entire album-worth of tracks to feast away on.

The lyrics are rammed full of teen angst (see ‘Sex’), which is a slight weakness in all honesty. On the other hand, whilst he falls just short of matching the lyrical genius of the likes of Alex Turner, frontman Matthew Healy almost matches him at times for both catchiness and wit. The ingenious use of guitar riffs may look like the band is being over-reliant on what is so clearly their forté, but in truth these are the core of the successful sound. Let’s not forget, this is a debut album. Wow.

It will be interesting to see if this album is signalling a change in the music scene, or whether its success is limited to its utter uniqueness in the current climate.

James Mason

…James has been listening to Arctic Monkeys – ‘Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High’…

AlbumsMusic