Freshers Fair – Our Favourite Arty Societies

Freshers Fair is over for another year, but don’t panic! Impact Arts has selected the top arty societies on offer for you this year, with information of how to get involved and make the most of your year.

The Nottingham New Theatre

The Nottingham New theatre is the UKs only student run theatre, and produces consistently exceptional and professional theatre on campus every week in both its ‘in-house’ season and ‘fringe’ season. Attend the AGM next Wednesday at 1pm or 3pm in the Portland auditorium to find out how to get involved with acting, directing, producing, set design, tech, stage managing and more! Have a look at their website or like their Facebook page for more information.

Art Soc

Want to practice your drawing skills? This arty society gives you the opportunity to go life drawing every Wednesday evening from 7.30 – 9.30, from as little as £2. If you’re not going to draw naked people at uni, when will you?! See the society Facebook page for more information.

Creative Writing Soc

This cute little society has everything you need to develop your creative writing skills. Hosting ‘Lit Circles’ every Thursday inviting members to experiment with different writing styles and genres, they even arrange Murder Mystery dinners, charity events, open mic nights and script writing competitions. Their very own mag Jabberwocky is also coming into its own. Have a look at their Facebook page and on the SU website to find out more.

NUDance

NUDance offers dance classes for all standards of dancers. From ballet to contemporary, tap to street, this society offers it all.  If you are not a dancer yourself, don’t miss out on their end of year annual showcase. It’s going to be big! Keep up to date with all things NU Dance through their Facebook page.

Poetry and Spoken word soc

This society welcomes writers, performers and those who just want to watch and listen whilst socialising with likeminded people over a drink. Hosting fortnightly ‘Open Mic Nights’ both on campus and in the best bars, pubs and cafés in town, this society offers budding poets the chance to perform to your peers and the public.

Book Club Soc

A friendly and laid-back society that gives all book lovers the chance to enjoy and discuss books that are not just in their course reading lists! The first discussion of the year will be on the 2nd of October on the theme of Teen Fiction, and the books are: “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green, “Noughts and Crosses” by Malorie Blackman and “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak. To find out more visit their Facebook page.

Photo Soc

PhotoSoc is a society for both photography lovers, and for those ready to learn a new skill. The society provides SLR cameras and tripods for its members, and is holding its first ‘basic tutorial’ session on the 3rd October followed by a group trip to Mooch. Join the Facebook event to find out more or visit their website.

Impact Arts

And of course, us! If you are interested in writing for Impact, we would love to hear from you. We are hosting a sign up day in the Atrium in Portland on the 4th October, where you can come and chat to members of each section and get involved. Impact Arts are also hosting a workshop on the 7th October in the Impact Office in Portland at 12-1.30pm where you can come meet us and learn how to get involved with reviewing upcoming theatre, art and comedy shows, and writing articles for both our print and online publication. So like our Facebook page, come to our meetings, and do something great for your CV.

Alice Child

ArtsArts FeaturesExploring Arts