Beauty

Freshers’ Week: Skincare SOS

Freshers’ Week. It’s a nightmare of times, dates, nights out and desperately trying to work out where on earth you’re meant to be at any specific time. Naturally, therefore, the combined stress and flurry of activity can mean an absolute disaster for your skincare routine; all of a sudden, time and inclination to cleanse, tone and moisturise mysteriously disappears, and the suggested litre of water magically becomes a significantly less effective bottle of wine. Fear not, however; the great beauty of being young is that your skin will forgive you (eventually) for these indiscretions. For the less patient amongst you, following this simple guide should speed up the process.

First off, the following recommendations work for my skin. This (fortunately for you) does not mean it will work for everyone else; even within skin type boundaries, individuals will react differently to each product. With this in mind, I’m going to stick to products recommended for most or all skin types, and are appropriate for sensitive skin.

The most important feature in anyone’s skincare routine should be drinking (and eating) water; what you put in your body really does show on your face, so it’s best to attempt to compensate for the alcohol and free pizza with water and (if you’re super on-it) fresh fruit and veg. So, without further mucking around, this is the routine I tend to fall back on (suitable for my combination skin):

freshers skin care 2

Exfoliate: Tea Tree Facial Scrub (B&M Bargains, c.£1.50). This can not only be picked up for around £1, but is also fabulously effective at preventing breakouts through a combination of a reasonably gentle scrub and the tea tree oils. Smells fab, does the job, dirt cheap. I can’t really ask for much more.

Cleanse: Simple’s Pore Minimising Toning Cleanser (Boots, £4.99). I’ve used this for absolutely ages as it combines cleansing and toning (making the entire tedious ‘oh god it’s three in the morning I need to sleep’ process a little faster). It also follows the Simple promise of no bad stuff, lots of good, skin loving stuff. Etc. Quick and does the job. Excellent.

Tone: Distilled Witch Hazel B.P.C. (Boots, £2.99). This is one of my newer additions to my skin care regime. I read online (always dangerous) that it can help with redness and general pore condition, which…happily…it seems to have done. Nice and cheap, feels like its working.

Blemish Treatment: Savlon Antiseptic Cream (Boots, £2.77). Halts and clears up blemishes pretty quickly; I find that applying a thick layer of it directly onto blemishes is most effective, although it also works well as a preventative measure.

Moisturise: Bio-oil or Simple Hydrating Light Moisturiser (both available at Boots, £8.99/£3.79). These are respectively good for different skin types; for oilier skins, try the Simple, and drier or combination the Bio-oil (which is like a little miracle in a bottle). Either way, hydration is a good start to surviving the effects of Freshers’ Week, so give it a go. And good luck!

Emily Marmion

BeautyStyle
  • Freshers' Week: Skincare SOS | 100% Pure Natural Products
    23 September 2013 at 17:36