Features & News

Guide to Film Clubs & Societies at UoN

Yesterday we posted our Guide to Cinema-going in Nottingham. Today we’re shifting our focus onto the film related societies UoN has to offer.

Dark Celluloid

If your taste in film is a little more Oldboy than Old School, then Dark Celluloid is the society for you. The society prides itself on offering ‘alternative’ choices rather than the latest blockbusters. From indie classics to world cinema, there’s a huge variety to choose from. That is not to say that Dark Celluloid is for the seasoned film watcher only, everyone is welcome at their screenings and post-film socials. The spring semester of this year saw cult films such as the chilling Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene and the eerie Jack Nicholson classic One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Upcoming screenings include two classics from Japan: Miyazaki’s animated masterpiece Spirited Away, and Kurosawa’s action epic Seven Samurai; and another outstanding performance from Nicholson in Kubrick’s The Shining. Film screenings are free for members, and £1 for non-members. Membership for the whole year is £3.

For the full list of screenings a check out their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/darkcelluloid/

STar Trek Into Darkness

Silver Screen

Silver Screen is Nottingham University’s mainstream film club. With Week One screenings of Star Trek: Into Darkness and Iron Man 3, it’s a great opportunity to see the latest releases without shelling out £15 for the DVD. But they don’t just show the latest blockbusters, last semester they screened such Oscar recipients as Lincoln, Life of Pi and Les Misérables. Anyone and everyone is welcome to attend, they try to promote a friendly social atmosphere, so don’t be shy. Upcoming screenings include Derek Cianfrance’s incredible crime-drama The Place Beyond the Pines starring Ryan Gosling, and Mud, the latest film from Take Shelter director Jeff Nichols and starring an unrecognisable Matthew Mcconaughey. Beginning next week, screenings are every Thursday at 7pm in the Hallward Library Screening Room. Screenings cost £1 for members and £2.50 for non-members. Membership for the whole year is £3.

For the full list of events and screenings check out their Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/SilverScreenUoN/

Filmmaking Society

If you’re tired of watching movies, FMSlogoyou could always try your hand at making them.
Filmmaking Society aims to aid and encourage the work of aspiring filmmakers and is open to all students at the Uni of Nottingham regardless of experience. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in all aspects of production, from pitching ideas to shooting and editing. If you have film you eagerly want to get made but are unsure where to begin, these guys can help.

You can read more about what the Filmmaking Society gets up to here: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/getinvolved/society/filmmaking/

Sam Todd & Lucy O’Boyle

Features & NewsFilm & TV