Style

NYFW SS’14: Michael Kors

kors1&2_FotorMichael Kors is often described as the master of all-American jet-set glamour. His luxurious, clean-lined, sporty genre is beyond question and he produces highly coveted pieces year after year. In fact, last week Kors was presented with the 2013 The Couture Council Award for Artistry of Fashion – a prestigious award in the industry that has previously been presented to the likes of Karl Lagerfeld.

Specialising in luxe, all-American sportswear, Kors’ collection reflects an awareness of the unstable seasons that we are now experiencing due to global warming.  Kors is aware that when spring clothing enters the shops it is usually still cold. He provides options for men and women who live in a very unpredictable climate but still want to keep up with the latest trends.

kors3

In comparison to his previous collections which have been bolder and brighter (particularly heavy on stripes), Kors has this time steered clear of the space-age sixties and the urban-minimal nineties. The collection oozes romance with chambray blue lace, tiny blossom prints on crepe and georgette, and others hand-beaded in pansies.

Opting for muted, cool tones in: blues, greys, green and white, emphasised the structured but delicate nature of his designs. The collection has a less sporty feel with thin tan waist belts and chunky platform heels that add a touch of girlish charm to classic daywear. Emerging trends throughout nyfw so far  include the trench coat: a key piece in Kors’ collection. A touch of luxe was present in python skin flippy A-line skirts and formality in Seventies collars.

kors4

In a recent interview Kors spoke about continual success of his business, ‘“We’re not just thinking about America, we’re thinking about the world”’. This is reflected with designs that are transferable beyond New York to a wider world. He is, however, clearly thinking about his loyal celebrity fans including the likes of Angelina Jolie, Blake Lively and Michelle Obama, as they will no doubt be glad in February (when the clothes hit the stores) that sable shrugs are available as the temperatures stay cold.

While his followers may well be surprised at the colour palette of the spring collection, there is no question as to whether the items will be snapped up by his clients. Perhaps not as extravagant as some of the collections that have graced the runway so far during fashion week, Kors proved himself a minimalist designer in the best possible way.

Ella Ryder

Images: myfashionlife.com, vogue.co.uk

Style