Interviews

Interview: San Cisco

Before playing a superb gig at Nottingham’s Rescue Rooms, Impact had a word with Jordi and Scarlett from San Cisco.

_________________________

I’m from Peru in South America. I got to know you guys through our local radios. Were you aware of that level of awareness from your music globally?

[Jordi]: (Surprised) Wow, not really.

[Scarlett]: Only through some of the social media, we kind of know we have a bit of a following in South America but we’ve never been there.

[Jordi]: Yeah, I really wanna go there. Definitely in the future, we would like to go down there. Maybe not this year, but definitely in the future.

You guys look as young as me! Yet you have already achieved so much.  Is being so young an advantage for producing music then?

[Jordi]: I don’t know. I think personally, it helped me because I feel like we are quite young… so it’s not all in the line. Also, we are young enough to make some mistakes and then be able to start again. I don’t know if it actually helps in the music making, maybe in that way we are even a bit naïve.

So do you think that in the future maybe, you will look back at your current music style and feel different about it?

[Jordi]: Yeah, definitely.

[Scarlett]: I think you are constantly reflecting on what you’ve done. We are always looking back even if it was not a good choice, thinking we would probably do this different next time. But we are looking more towards the future now and where we want to take it.

Australian bands are in the spotlight right now, do you have any favourite local bands?

[Scarlett]: Yes! We have quite a few. The Jungle Giants are one of them.

There is a lot of good Australian music.

[Jordi]: Hmm, The Preatures. Who else is there? There are so many really, so much good music coming out. Millions? (a band from Brisbane). They are in the UK now as well. But in general, there is a lot of good Australian music.

You have a song called ‘Fred Astaire’, which anyone can relate to the dancing feeling. Are your songs intended to make the audience dance, sing along and clap?

[Jordi]: We try to write songs that have many melodies into it, with lots of hooks… it’s what we’ve always done. It’s just pop songs really.

Your songs have very eclectic beats. Do they begin as melodical ideas? Or is it lyrics first and then beats?

[Jordi]: Hmm, it’s different everytime. When Josh (guitar) writes a song, I know he starts off with melody, the whole music. Usually when I write a song, it starts lyrically and then I work from there, like an idea. So it changes every time.

Your song ‘Awkward’ is, indeed, awkward to anyone who can relate to the situation, was it written after a particular experience?

[Scarlett]: No, it just came sort of out of nowhere for us. We just sat down and said: we are going to write a pop song. That was the idea we came up with. Then we started playing with it and just see how far we could take it, see how ridiculous the situation could get. It is made up but I guess people can connect with it.

Claudia Jara

Follow Impact Music on Facebook and Twitter

InterviewsMusic