Live Review: H A M Presents, Brickworks (27/09/13)

kagoulebrickworks

Brickworks, a recently redeveloped underground warehouse in Nottingham’s Sneinton district, played host to a series of specially curated one-off gigs.

Friday night saw University of Nottingham graduates, Childhood; the current best band in Nottingham, Kagoule, and label mates, Kappa Gamma, as well as London’s Keebo all on the same bill. An incredible line-up indeed, in quite an incredible setting; all dusty industrial relics, Daily Mail paper-clad toilet walls and smokey air.

Keebo kicked things off with their dreamy Warpaint-esque pop. With little sonic variation between songs, they always run the risk of becoming stale, yet the heavier moments of stand-out song, ‘Follow’, ensure that they remain as fresh as ever. Ones to watch out for in the near future, no doubt.

Kagoule soon followed. We’ve proclaimed them the best band in Nottingham, and this set only served to confirm that tag. With the same seven song set that has become all too familiar by now, there isn’t much more to say about the songs other than the fact that they are just very, very good. Influences ranging from 90s grunge to gloomy 80s post-punk and even contemporary hardcore, Kagoule are one of the most interesting and varied bands around right now. See them.

Nottingham record label, Denizen, have an impressive roster, including the aforementioned Kagoule. Kappa Gamma are another one, and their take on intelligent, quirky pop is as impressive as ever, certainly impressing their home crowd. Not as mindblowing as Kagoule, maybe, but Kappa Gamma have all the tools at their disposal to be a success.

Finally, headlining are Childhood, former University of Nottingham students. Having seen them a few times over the summer and been suitably impressed at their progress, it was perhaps a little disappointing to see a rather dull headline set. Whether this was drunkenness, a lack of motivation or just ‘one of those nights’, the songs are still there, just not as exciting as usual. Surely a minor blip in this dream-pop four-piece’s looming success.

A superb night of music in a unique venue. Fingers crossed Brickworks hosts more events soon.

Alex Neely

…Alex is listening to The Walkmen – ‘Brandy Alexander’…

GigsMusic