Fashion Week

PFW SS’14: Chanel

One of the most anticipated shows of Paris Fashion Week is of course, Chanel. The epitome of Parisian fashion and heritage, with Karl Lagerfeld at the helm, the show is always a spectacle of huge proportions to be adored by all. This year was no exception. Already pictures of Cara Delevingne with the ice-blonde bob have claimed their space in newspaper print and on blogs alike and the Chanel hype is still very much alive.

ch

Paying homage to the Coco Chanel legacy, the tweed jacket which has become synonymous with Chanel was reworked and transformed using vibrant shades of cerise and fuchsia, white checked patterns and classic buttons. Taking a more lady-like approach were the calf-length shift dresses in cream tweed and the short-sleeved tweed skirt suit in soft quail egg blue with a rich peacock trim and teamed with buttery leather fingerless gloves to add an edge of toughness and youthfulness.

cha

The tweed ensembles then take a playful turn with rows of colourful rainbow yarn stripe across which create a wonderful fresh summery character and a sense of playfulness and mischief. In complete contrast are the pure white pairings of slim clean-cut trousers with sleek tunics and simple modern zipped jackets creating an air of the 60’s.

A more casual and youthful look comes in the form of wide-leg leather palazzo pants with cropped jersey sweaters, not forgetting the two extra sweaters which are tied round the hips and slung over the models’ shoulders which carry a quilted suede backpack emblazoned with the infamous and iconic double C. This nod to street-wear and urban cool gave way to a stream of faded denim dresses in soft bleached grey colours.

chan

As far as accessories go, Chanel is generally the master of all things covetable and the giant bauble-like pearls perched on the model’s collarbones and the sell-out Lego bag makes a welcome return, this time embellished with rows and rows of miniature pearls.  Shift dresses in frayed-edged tweed are also adorned with pearls to create a look which is so beautifully dainty and feminine but also so modern and urbane. The same can be said for the long-line sleeveless jackets and skirts which, from a distance, appear to be of a feathered texture but then on closer inspection their creativity and innovation is revealed- PVC neon squares and swathes of material are tacked irregularly to create a mixed-texture masterpiece.

When you think the show is coming to a close and have already formed your infinite make-believe Chanel wish list, a kaleidoscope of colour makes its way down the runway.  Somewhat resembling the Dulux colour charts I would collect as a child during a Saturday morning visit to the local DIY store, these beautiful creations are covered in swatches of watercolour brush-strokes covering an entire spectrum of colour before leading to a hemline of white or black crochet lace or frilled shoulders.

chane

I could go on and on and write my dissertation on the Chanel ss14 collection but I will leave you with this mere snippet. However, I think it is safe to say that Lagerfeld, the most on-trend octogenarian of all, has triumphed yet again. Whilst they may not be bank account friendly his beautifully tweed ensembles, iconic accessories, innovative textures and innumerable pieces of clothing perfection are most definitely friendly on the eye…an eye which can’t help but keep on looking.

Emma Willey

Fashion WeekStyle