Fashion Week

PFW SS’14: Elie Saab

saabsaab2

A celebration of femininity has long since been synonymous with Elie Saab and his whimsical, flowing creations. Unsurprisingly his Spring-Summer collection was no different, showcasing an elegant colour palette and delicate fabrics.  Clinched in waists gave way to fuller skirts that perfectly accentuated the female form.

Inspired by an English garden, the pretty florals that infiltrated Saab’s collection were present in abundance, and ranged from striking to subtle. They appeared most prominently in the floral patterned pieces, which were an obvious highlight. The bright colours on contrasting white silk bought a really fresh feel to the collection. The print was further emphasised by the belted waist and simplicity of the silhouettes with their clean lines and high necks.

saab3

A hint of the same print could also be seen, interspersed among the sequins, in some of the more elaborate and edgy pieces. Saab upped the anti on the sex appeal, edging the lingerie-camisole style tops of the dresses with lace. This theme was furthered with lace bodices that were teamed with sheer skirts. The result was a much more sultry look than what is usually found on the Saab runway.

Finally, embroidered flowers featured in the ornate embellishment and elegant lace panels of the more characteristic Saab gowns that featured in fuchsia, salmon-pink and emerald designs this season.

Saab successfully brings spring florals into his elegant eveningwear. The belted waists, sheer fabrics and embellishment reinstated once again that its what lies in the detail that counts.

Rachael Cooney

@ImpactStyle

Fashion WeekStyle