Lead Articles

Nottingham Ranked 8th Most Unsafe University City

A report issued by the Complete University Guide this year has announced that Nottingham is ranked 8th in the list of university cities most affected by crime. 

This ranking comes from data compiled from www.police.uk during 2012-2013. Crimes that occurred within 3 miles of each university’s main campus were analysed, looking specifically at burglary, robbery and violent crime.

“I was very hesitant about moving out of halls and into Lenton in my second year, especially when names such as ‘Nottingun’ and ‘Shottingham’ were thrown around.”

The Complete University Guide crime statistics seem to consolidate this image, as their crime map* shows Lenton, the most popular area for UoN students to live, has one of the highest rates for incidences of burglary and robbery outside the city centre.

The map also reveals that students living in Beeston are also prime targets for burglaries, particularly if they are located around Beeston town centre.

“The police were present at the event and students were singed up to Immobilise, a tracking system that allows the police to recover stolen property.”

In response to this, a spokeswoman from UoN Security Services emphasised some of the systems in place set up by the University for students living off campus to ensure their safety and help prevent crime:

“At the beginining of the year we had a ‘moving in moving on’ event for students, about living in the community, which had a focus on crime prevention. The police were present at the event and students were singed up to Immobilise, a tracking system that allows the police to recover stolen property.”

“In the last few years student crime has made up 26% of all crime in Nottingham, however, since the launch of Operation Graduate we are now beginning to see significant results.”

Nottinghamshire Police, who work closely with the University to prevent crime, informed Impact that “[Nottinghamshire Police] have begun a number of initiatives, primarily working on providing safety and crime prevention advice, to reduce the [number of] incidence of crime in student hotspots.”

One of the main initiatives includes Operation Graduate, which began in June 2013. This focuses on deploying resources to six hotspot areas at peak offending times. As a result, this has caused an 83% reduction in burglary, robbery and vehicle crime compared to the same period in 2012.

Chief Inspector Steve Cartwright, the leader of Operation Graduate said: “In the last few years student crime has made up 26% of all crime in Nottingham, however, since the launch of Operation Graduate we are now beginning to see significant results.”

While this is reassuring for students on University Park and Jubilee Campus, those studying at the Sutton Bonington Campus are facing several issues regarding security.

“With no cycle markings and patchy bus services, many students have no option but to walk down the road and the speed limit of 60mph makes students feel very unsafe.”

Station road, the main road that connects the Sutton Bonington campus to Kegworth, the local village, has no street lights along its stretch with 92% of respondents to a student survey claiming that they regularly had to travel along this road in the dark.

One UoN student commented: “With no cycle markings and patchy bus services, many students have no option but to walk down the road and the speed limit of 60mph makes students feel very unsafe.”

A second year UoN Music student told Impact: “I was very hesitant about moving out of halls and into Lenton in my second year, especially when names such as ‘Nottingun’ and ‘Shottingham’ were thrown around.”

UoN Student Union Welfare and Equal Opportunities officer, Mike Dore, whose role encompasses the safety of students, told Impact:

“We have been working with the University to ensure student safety such as providing attack alarms from the Student’s Union Reception in Portland Building, working with Estates to improve lighting on campus, and campaigning with the Sutton Bonington Guild to improve the safety on Station Road.”

Currently, there is a 1,000 signature strong petition calling Nottinghamshire County Council to install streetlights along this road. However, a response from the council has not yet been received.

“In Nottingham in the last 12 months there has been 3,175 fewer offences across the city which is a 9.5% reduction from the previous year.”

Gary Stevens Head of Security at UoN suggested that the ranking was not accurate, commenting: “For one thing, the London Universities have not been included.”

He went on to state: “On the Police All Crime Performance [statistics] in Nottingham in the last 12 months there has been 3,175 fewer offences across the city which is a 9.5% reduction from the previous year.”

“Recent figures show that 82% of our residence are satisfied with Nottingham with a place to live, work and study, [and] as far as we are concerned crime has actually fallen in the city to levels that have not been seen for many years.”

Hunain Shiwani

Image by Ray Forster from Flickr

*The Complete Univiersity Guide Crime Map can be found here.

Follow Impact News on twitter and facebook.

Lead ArticlesNews
  • Jayyyyyyy
    16 February 2015 at 14:30