Style

The Little Vintage Beauty Parlour: A Review

Last Friday the Impact Style editors went down to Lulu B’s Little Vintage Beauty Parlour in Nottingham town centre. Two hours, endless hairspray and much backcombing later and we’re giving you our review:

If you find yourself wandering at a loose end around Nottingham town centre any time soon, take a small detour down Station Street. While the station itself is currently covered in scaffolding, neon builders and corrugated iron, the other side of the street has already completed quite a metamorphosis. Artful graffiti adorns the walls and tattoo parlours and unexpected art galleries lie alongside the shiny new supermarket outlets. In heart of this melting pot, lies something of a hidden gem. Walk through the doors of Hopkinson and suddenly you find yourself taking a step back in time into an Aladdin’s Cave of vintage treasures. Spanning three floors, Hopkinson not only houses an unprecedented display of vintage glory, but also a tea room, a wedding photographer, an exhibition space and an art gallery. But most beautifully, tucked away on the second floor lies The Little Vintage Beauty Parlour.

lvbp1

The room gives off the impression of the perfect chic Americana, you wouldn’t be surprised to find the cast of Grease chattering in the corner.

While stepping into Hopkinson itself feels like entering the attic of a fabulously eccentric Great-Aunt, stepping through the doors of The Little Vintage Beauty Parlour transports you straight back to the 1950s: bubble-gum pink walls, chequerboard flooring, sleek chairs and even a portrait of Elvis adorning the wall. The room gives off the impression of the perfect chic Americana, you wouldn’t be surprised to find the cast of Grease chattering in the corner.

We found ourselves leaving looking something akin to Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn crossed with Rapunzel.

The parlour is exactly what you would expect on first appearances, offering vintage inspired hair and make up makeovers. From the classic Marilyn Monroe set, to victory rolls, princess curls and beehives the skills of this parlour are really quite something. Swept up in the glamour of the occasion we found ourselves leaving looking something akin to Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn crossed with Rapunzel, it felt pretty fabulous (and we can assure you, the looks stay put the whole day… and the next one too).

lvbp

In between the library, lectures and the inevitabilities of ‘real life’ it can be pretty hard to find the time to relax and get pampered.

There is something extremely luxurious and exciting about having a makeover like this. In between the library, lectures and the inevitabilities of ‘real life’ it can be pretty hard to find the time to relax and get pampered. While the looks are most certainly not what you would call ‘everyday’, with graduation and grad ball coming up frighteningly soon there’s definitely an excuse to get yourself glammed up. Who wouldn’t want to roll into a ball feeling (literally) like Cinderella. While the full on hair, makeover and ‘tea-party’ experience comes at a bit of a heavy price-tag for the average student, if you’re having a real celebration it might be worth it. If the full on party isn’t for you then individual hair appointments are a lot more affordable and equally as fabulous.

The Little Vintage Beauty Parlour is fast carving out its place in Nottingham’s thriving vintage scene

Having only been open four weeks, The Little Vintage Beauty Parlour is fast carving out its place in Nottingham’s thriving vintage scene, and with an experience like this we can only predict fantastic success. For more information on the parlour and their treatments visit their website or Facebook pages.

Harriet Brown

For more from Impact Style find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

Images: nottinghampost.co.uk, vintagewarbride.blogspot.com

Style
  • tammy brownlow
    20 January 2015 at 11:58