Features & News

Next on Netflix #7

Planning on prioritising your studies over Easter break? With Impact, you’ll reconsider the decisions you make, as this week we suggest some great TV series, new and old, for you to enjoy over the coming weeks, with our next best recommendations on Netflix.

Buffy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

You all know Buffy the Vampire Slayer, even if you’ve never watched it. Your friends probably talk about it all the time, about how hot Spike is, about how the monster of the week is generally terrifying, about how well-written a character Buffy actually is; it’s no surprise its presence lingers in your mind really.

Joss Whedon’s 7 season television series about a teenage vampire slayer grappling with the forces of evil, while at the same time trying to maintain a social life, was groundbreaking in its run from 1997-2003. Nothing really comes close to the way the show portrayed its female protagonists, even today.

The dynamic between Buffy and her two best pals Xander and Willow remains strong throughout the entirety of the show, and while new characters come and go, it’s the trio that hold it all together. They become your family.

It’s so easy to mistake Buffy as teen vampire trash (and sometimes it kind of is) but it ends up being strangely mature, never speaking down to its audience. If you have over a hundred hours of spare time over Easter, then this isn’t a bad way to spend them.

Port

Portlandia

The dream of the 90s is very much alive in Portland (no, not that Portland). If you love to mock hipsters in a hypercritical, self-referential sort of way or poke fun at lovers of all things twee, or simply exaggerate minor First World inconveniences, then you can’t really go wrong with a slice of Portlandia.

Set in Portland, Oregon, the satirical sketch show stars Carrie Brownstein (from the band Sleater-Kinney) and Fred Armisen (SNL) as they dress up in a variety of outfits and perform some light-hearted social commentary.

The most delightful aspect of the show is the fact no group or person is safe from satire. From offended vegans, to argumentative feminists, every kind of musician imaginable, and people who go out of their way to spend large amounts of time and money on brunch – the list is forever lengthening.

Did I forget to mention it’s hilarious? Oh and a bunch of celebrities turn up from time to time: Kyle Maclachlan as the Mayor of Portland, Jack White as a silent ethereal presence and Steve Buscemi as a Celery salesman.

Netflix is currently streaming the first 3 seasons of Portlandia, so why not abuse your broadband and give it a go?

Felix Taylor

Extras

Extras

If there’s one Easter egg you seek to find on your hunt through Netflix this holiday, make it Extras.

Created by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, Extras entrenched the masterful timing, odd plots and situational awkwardness that the comedy duo are renowned for. By televisual standards it may be old, but there’s no denying that this timeless sitcom is comedic gold.

Extras‘ premise is essentially in the title. The show represents the mundane tribulations of acting extras, or ‘background artists’, Andy (Gervais) and Maggie (Ashley Jensen). While the first season plays on this trait of their characters heavily, the second welcomes surprising depth in character development for these two perfectly-paired pals to push through in the show.

The BBC and HBO series stars its creators, along with the wonderful Jensen, oh and Barry from Eastenders. Most notable of the casting however, are the guest stars that appear in the majority of episodes, ranging from Orlando Bloom, to Samuel L. Jackson and Kate Winslet. I’ll let you discover the remaining celebrity and acting greatness for yourself, as you follow this series down the rabbit hole into blunderland.

With only 13 episodes in total for the short-lived but full of life Extras, you should speed through its 2 seasons with relative ease, though it’ll leave you craving more on your egg hunt through Netflix.

Bharat Samra

Click here for more Netflix recommendations

What did you think of this week’s recommendations? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Features & NewsFilm & TV