Festivals

Sounds From The Other City 2014 Preview

The saviours of a once hugely ageing Mancunian music scene have once more joined forces and put on one of the bravest and exciting festivals of the year: Sounds from the Other City or SFTOC for short. In industrial Salford (the ‘Other City’), art, music and DIY everything come together to put on a May bank holiday without compare. With venues spanning pubs, tents and grandiose Halls, the brains behind the bravery celebrate their tenth year of letting Manchester’s finest promoters wreak havoc in Suburban Salford.

Now Wave take over the beautiful Peel Hall and Hey!Manchester run riot in First Chop Brewing Arm, who, by the way, have brewed their own drop to celebrate the event which is just bloody marvellous. Here are a few bands that, schedule allowing, you can’t afford to miss this coming Sunday:

PINS @ Peel Hall

Manchester’s favourite daughters return from their US travels to play SFTOC after smashing it to pieces back in 2012. The female foursome are quickly taking over the world and there are few better live acts on the planet right now so DO NOT MISS PINS.

Bernard & Edith @ Peel Hall

Full of dislocating menace, this Mancunian twosome are beautifully disturbing. Recently described by Paul Lester as Manchester’s own Julee Cruise and Angelo Badalamenti, their live show channels Sweden’s The Knife and Greta’s vocals are in equal parts haunting and divine.

Kult Country @ Old Pint Pot (Upstairs)

One of the maddest live bands not only in the North but probably on the face of the Earth play the Old Pint Pot in what promises to be one of the highlights of this year’s festival. Frontman Yousif is a genius and will have you thrown around in a flailing mosh pit before their opener has even got started.

Hartheim @ The Angel Centre

One of Sways Records many great sons Hartheim arrive at SFTOC on the back of a masterpiece of a track ‘Yellow’ – bleak, choking and stunningly raw. Their eerie echoes and powerful vocals are made for Salford’s intimate Angel Centre and it’s pretty damn important to see the five piece in the flesh before they really do start to grow into something pretty huge.

Happyness @ First Chop Brewing Arm

South London trio Happyness are fast becoming my most played band this year. Their woozy American College Lo-fi comes to FCBA to lift the spirits perhaps dampened by the inevitable Salford showers. Unlike many others in this genre they have great musical ability to back up their charming bravado.

From The Kites of San Quentin @ Islington Mill

The outstandingly named FTKoSQ have been in and around the Manchester scene and now international scene for a few years now and bring their vibrant live show to one of Salford and Manchester’s greatest venues. Spacey electronic beats, seductive vocals and hypnotic backing make for a mesmerisingly brilliant, if not a sometimes confusing live show.

Shopping @ The Crescent

Comprising of members from bands like Wet Dog, Covergirl and Trash Kit, London this three-piece bring their slant on post-punk to The Crescent. Bring your dancing shoes for this one.

Golden Teacher @ The Crescent

Hailing from Glasgow, Golden Teacher are an infectious self proclaimed “party band”. Almost impossible to pigeon-hole, their sound is effortlessly experimental and unusually unique.
More than likely to do the unlikely, their disjointed afro-beat dubbed disco madness is undoubtedly set to be the craziest slot of the day.

That said, some of the best times at SFTOC are just stumbling across a weird band in an even stranger venue and falling in love with them. Expect the weird and the wonderful.

Tickets available HERE for just £18.

Adam Keyworth

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Facebook and Twitter

FestivalsGigsMusic