Features & News

Next on Netflix #13

A fortress of funniness, Netflix flaunts a vibrant amount of comedic variety. This week, Prerana promises to keep you laughing all summer long with our next best recommendations on Netflix.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a 1982 movie, following a group of students over one year as they face the hardships of high school. This coming of age comedy stars a young Sean Penn as the constantly stoned surfer Jeff Spicoli, who has a not so smooth relationship with his history teacher Mr. Hand, who is convinced everyone is on dope.

For those who love their 80s movies, this one is definitely not one to miss. While Penn takes on the academic side of this high school story, we of course must have a romantic element as well. We have the senior who wants to end his relationship so he can live his last year free, which ultimately doesn’t bode too well. At the same time he goes through troubles as he tries to find the right job for himself. There is the good girl Stacy Hamilton (Jennifer Jason Leigh), whose first time is not at all what she expected it to be like. She has the hard decision of choosing between the good guy and the not so good guy, who just happen to be the best of friends. Fast Times at Ridgemont High takes on a realistic view of the lives of teenagers in the 80s, probably because writer Cameron Crowe went undercover in a real Californian high school for inspiration to his story, making this hilariously authentic experience one of the best on Netflix.

Archer

Archer

This FX series is something I opted for because nothing else prodded at my funny bone. That was by far one of the best decisions I’ve made in my selection history on Netflix. An animated spy comedy sitcom, Archer throws us into the world of Sterling Archer and the international spy agency ISIS, as they fight crime to save the world in the midst of their dysfunctional lives. Crude, rude, with a raunchy attitude, Archer would undeniably be classified as ‘adult animation’; It’s South Park with a little more sophistication.

The show consists of eight key members, primarily Sterling Archer, the ladies man with an obsession for turtlenecks and delivering lines of dialogue that make you question whether the show went through any process of censorship. We also have the head of ISIS, Malory Archer, who just so happens to be the oh so emotionally distant mother of our suave protagonist.

Each character brings their dysfunctionalities into this agency and somehow manage to save the world in their own way. I would strongly suggest the very much R rated Archer, though you’re warned of being sent into a world of spies saving the world where the people in charge have no care in the world or any filter to what they say. This may be the reason that the show has managed to win the Critics’ Choice Award for Best Animated Series three years in a row.

So to finish on, here is one of my favourite quotes from Sterling Archer himself: “I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!”

Aziz Ansari Buried Alive

Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive

Aziz Ansari is someone you may be familiar with from Parks and Recreation, but his stand-up performances ought to be sought out in order to relish in the entirety of his comedic prowess. Buried Alive is a self-described Netflix original and “Comedy Special”, offering Ansari the platform to express his views on being at a stage in his life when all his friends are married with kids, while he’s still very much a bachelor.

His comedy doesn’t limit itself solely to well-written jokes bluntly delivered to a live audience, as he instead utilises that very audience by encouraging participation, making for funny situations such as the lighthearted mockery of one man’s lunchtime wedding proposal. I believe audience interaction is always one of the spotlights of a stand-up show, as it enables us to see comedians in their element, giving a glimpse into their talent of just being funny on an everyday basis around others.

With Netflix now gifting its UK users with the possibility of watching the American stand-ups that we may not have had a chance to see in person, our breadth of laughter is only promised to widen. Buried Alive is particularly approachable with being a November 2013 release, as the topics and cultural references are fresh and relevant just less than a year later. So if you have any nights in ahead this summer and are hoping for some humour, Impact irrefutably recommends you watch any, if not all of this week’s suggestions from Next on Netflix.

Prerana Srungaram

Click here for more Netflix recommendations

What did you think of this week’s recommendations? Let us know via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Features & NewsFilm & TV

Writer and Editor for the Film & TV section of Impact, Bharat is a keen previewer, reviewer and sometimes just viewer, of all things cinematic and televisual, with a particular passion for biographical pictures, adaptations and sitcoms.