Lead Articles

UoN Sport Receives Funding Boost

The University of Nottingham (UoN) has received £296,680 of funding from Sport England’s University Sport Activation Fund, aimed at increasing the participation of university students in sport.

The UoN is one of 54 British universities who have benefitted from the £15 million fund, which was secured through the work of British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS).

It will be using the donation to further its IN2Sport programme, which is run in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University.

“By Investing in the University of Nottingham, we’re helping students develop a lifelong sporting habit while they study”.

This programme is designed to let students participate in sport without the commitment of regular training.

The results of a national survey, taken by the University of Nottingham, showed that just under 50% of students in higher education do not participate in sport.

Notably, 28% said this decision was made due to lack of opportunity, and 13% due to poor facilities.

The programme therefore aims to reduce cost, as well as improve quality and accessibility.

Mike Diaper, Sport England Director of Community Sport, said: “We know Universities play a vital role in maintaining and growing a student’s love of sport”.

“We believe In2Sport will improve the health and well-being of our students, raising their aspirations and their quality of life”.

Sam Bell-Minogue, the University’s Assistant Director of Sport, commented: “This Lottery funding means we can provide an inclusive programme for all university students”.

The University Sport Activation funding follows a similar donation by Sport England in 2011, under their Active Universities programme.

This fund, run jointly between the UoN, Nottingham Trent University and Sport Nottinghamshire, was directed towards delivering entry-level activities across 11 sports.

It resulted in the University of Nottingham’s Nu2Sport programme receiving £247,600.

The UoN currently has over 75 Athletics Union sports clubs.

Priya Thethi

Images: Nottingham Trent University via Flickr

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Lead ArticlesNews