Lead Articles

Work to Begin on Station Road Street Lights in Autumn Term

Work will begin in either October or November on the installation of street lights along Station Road; the road linking the University of Nottingham’s Sutton Bonington Campus and the neighbouring village of Kegworth.

An agreement to begin the installation was reached following two meetings between representatives of the Station Road Working Group, Nottinghamshire County Council, the University of Nottingham Students’ Union, two Parish Councils and Councillor Andrew Brown.

“Although this is a huge breakthrough for the campaign, we will be continuing in our efforts to lobby the Council to reduce the speed limit too”.

In total, 25 street lights will be installed along the currently unlit stretch of road and the work is expected to be completed by the start of next year.

A representative of the ‘Safer Station Road Campaign’ said: “Although this is a huge breakthrough for the campaign, we will be continuing in our efforts to lobby the Council to reduce the speed limit too”.

“Once again, we would like to say a huge thank you to all who supported the campaign through petition signatures, tweets at Councillors or attending one of our events”.

In February, a petition to lobby the County Council to install street lights and reduce the speed limit along Station Road received over 1500 signatures.

Following the handing-over of the petition, the campaign received a donation of up to £50,000 from the University of Nottingham to help fund the project.

Nottinghamshire County Council has now agreed to provide the remainder of the money needed for the £100,000 installation.

Jacob Bentley

Image: University of Nottingham Students’ Union

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook

Lead ArticlesNews