Eat. What. Where… FRANKFURT

Heading off to a European city for your Year Abroad this summer? Have you planned (or not) an extensive interrail route? Then this guide is for you. Each week, we’ll be publishing recommendations written by someone who’s currently living, breathing – and eating – their city.

This week Mike gives us a foodie round-up of his second year abroad city, Frankfurt.

APFELWEIN SOLZER

EWW Frankfurt VetterA speciality of Frankfurt is Apfelwein, which is a sour and still version of cider. Apfelwein pubs are found all over the city, and my favourite is Apfelwein Solzer, which is found in the district of Bornheim. Constantly packed with locals and along with a very traditional menu, consisting of Handkäse mit Musik, multiple types of Wurst, Schweinshaxe, Schnitzel and of course Grüner Soße. Thirsty? Make sure you get yourself a Bembel of the homemade Apfelwein. Due to how busy it gets, I’d definitely recommend booking in advance. It’s worth it though because Apfelwein Solzer really is the place to go in Frankfurt for an authentic German experience.

Berger Straße 260
60385 Frankfurt am Main

Monday – Saturday
16:00 – 24:00
Sunday
12:30 – 22:00

BEST WORSCHT IN TOWN

EWW Frankfurt CurrywurstA trip to Germany wouldn’t be complete without a Currywurst. Best Worscht in Town is the most popular place in Frankfurt to get this famous snack. It’s not just any old Currywurst either. At Best Worscht you get to choose your level of spice from A to F. Choose F and it’s rumoured that you have to fill out a medical form, but you get the chance to be on the Hall of Pain section of their website. I went for the sufficiently hot B+!

Berger Straße 80
60316 Frankfurt am Main

Monday – Saturday
11:00 – 22:00 (23:00 on Friday and Saturday)
Sunday
13:00 – 19:00

Another branch of Best Worscht in Town can be found on Grüneburgweg 37, but it closes at 19:00 during the week and on Sundays.

MERAL’S IMBISS

EWW Frankfurt DonerPossibly the only boat serving doner kebabs in Europe. In the UK, a doner kebab is associated with being a post night out take away, and the sight of someone eating one at another time other than 3am is quite rare. In Germany, the ‘Döner’ is cherished, and eaten whenever possible. Meral’s Imbiss is definitely the most unusual place to buy a kebab in Frankfurt. Situated on the Main, it’s the perfect place for a snack whilst overlooking Germany’s financial heartland. Not a fan of doner? The deep-fried anchovy sandwich is a great alternative.

Schaumainkai (near the Untermainbrücke)
60594 Frankfurt am Main

Monday – Sunday (March to October)
12:00 – 23:00

AROYDEE

Fancy a change from German food? Aroydee Thai restaurant is a great, yet cheap alternative. The portions are massive and most main courses are around the €10 mark. At Aroydee you can expect classic Thai favourites like Pad Thai and Green Thai Curry, as well as some more unusual options like catfish! There’s also a limited number of tables outside too, however whenever I’ve been they’ve unfortunately already been taken.

Stiftstraße 34
60313 Frankfurt am Main

Monday – Thursday
11:00 – 22:00
Friday – Saturday
11:00 – 23:00
Sunday
14:00 – 22:00

Mike Winnington

Image Credits: Mike Winnington and Flickr