What I Learned from Coming to University as an Only Child

Moving into university halls of residence, for myself and doubtless thousands of other freshers, has been an experience akin to being thrown into the deepest part of a jungle. I arrived on my first day, an only child from a sleepy town in Staffordshire, and was immediately overwhelmed by the wilderness of Broadgate Park, with its 2,000-strong student community and eclectic mixture of characters. Yet now I have survived my first few weeks, I’m realising that I’ve already learned a lot about myself and what it means to suddenly move in with six fellow freshers.

Sharing is caring

7351379188_a2d4d525f8_c

Shared facilities – namely the bathroom and kitchen – can be the bane of any student’s life. The kitchen, in particular, resembles the most chaotic of restaurants at dinnertime, with plates, pans and people flying in all directions. Negotiating showers is also a fresh challenge to those of us used to households free from other teenagers and therefore a near-permanently free bathroom. Even after less than a month, however, all of the obstacles which we first faced seem insignificant. A natural routine has developed, and mealtimes have become ‘family time’ in which we discuss our days, dispute the correct way to cook pasta and debate other crucial topics. I can’t help but wonder what I was so afraid of…

Quiet nights in are a thing of the past

8438514562_a11f817f1f_c

Inevitably, with so many students crammed into such a small space, there is always some form of noise. Whether that’s the pre-drinks of the ‘party flat’ or simply a film night going on in a bedroom below, halls are never quiet places. At first this was a shock to the system, as living with only my parents guarantees that I am the noisiest member of the household. Yet as with everything else at uni, I’ve found that the constant buzz of noise is something you simply adjust to; I’ve quickly learned that my sleeping pattern has had to change.

You’re never short of somebody to talk to

3548114880_f188e05153_b

Perhaps one of the nicest things about moving into halls is the constant availability of a friendly face. If you need a shoulder to (literally or metaphorically) cry on, want to chat about a particularly stimulating lecture or even want reassurance that your chicken is definitely cooked before you eat it, a quick bellow down the corridor will unfailingly summon at least one flatmate. Living with six people of the same age provides a constant source of support, which is possibly one of the best things I have realised during my short time here.

Variety really is the spice of life

4608927941_4ccae03765_b

Like many others before me, one of my biggest worries before starting uni was ‘what if none of my flatmates like me?’ An even bigger concern to some extent was that they would all be completely different people to me. The latter has certainly proved true, as our flat is a colourful variety of personalities and interests. This is, however, one of the best aspects of life in halls as opposed to a cause of anxiety. A multitude of anecdotes and opinions makes for the best conversations around the dinner table!

Worrying is a waste of time

9710030903_b15fd73637_c

As a serial stress-head, the idea of halls of residence scared me silly before coming to Nottingham. Living in extremely close quarters with six new people my own age was a terrifying concept. Despite my fears, however, the experience has already taught me a lot and provided me with memories that will last a lifetime. Similar to beginning an adventure in the jungle, moving into halls may be taxing, terrifying and, at times, treacherous. Yet above all it is one of the most rewarding things I have experienced so far in my university life.

Rachel Harrison

Follow Impact on Facebook and Twitter

Image credit: uchicagomagazine, uniwestscotland, jirka_matousek, rmit, johnpaulgoguen & uritoday via Flickr