5 Reasons Books Are The Best Form Of Entertainment On Public Transport

We’ve all seen the compulsive texters on the Tube. The fact there’s no service on the London Underground doesn’t seem to faze them. We’ve probably all been one of the unsociable masses at some point; on the bus, on the train, or even in the car on a family holiday. But here are five reasons why we, and everybody else, should be encouraged to say goodbye to Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, SnapChat and plain old texting, even if only for the occasional journey and pick up a book instead.

Get Away

Books have often been described as an outlet away from the real world. So, if we’re journeying away from somewhere, surely a book is the ideal companion? It’s perhaps a cliché to say that books “transport you to a place you’ve never been before”, but they certainly act as a welcome break from the reality of coursework deadlines, workshops, labs and lectures.

Headaches

Although some claim that reading makes them feel sick on journeys, this can often seem nothing to the headaches we experience after extended exposure to screens. We spend so long facing our laptop screens, typing our degrees, social lives and internet shopping orders, so why on earth do so many of us choose to spend hours at a time on our phones unnecessarily?

Noise-Free

In a world that constantly seems to produce an abundance of noise, it’s sometimes nice to take part in a silent activity. And, if you’re one of those people who’s been paying a £25 noise fine every time you’ve had a noisy pre-drinks party, it might make a nice change to be in no danger of receiving noise complaints.

Data Charges

I know this doesn’t apply to everybody, but think about it. You’re travelling home at the weekend, and there is that one person opposite you who does not get off their phone for the whole two hour journey. How do they afford it? At some point their data limit must run out, and when that happens it’s going to get pretty expensive – not an extra form of expenditure you need at university. A book, on the other hand, is one easy payment of £something.99 with no hidden charges or extras. It won’t sneak up on you with a “surprise” at the end of the month.

It Makes You Look Intelligent!

If you haven’t been persuaded by my deeper arguments, this one should do the trick. Anyone can spend a journey texting, or playing ‘Flappy Bird’ if you’re still “lucky” enough to have this app. Not many people, however, have the endurance to read for a journey, no matter how long or short. If you are one of the few who chooses to whip out a novel rather than a tablet, you are likely to get serious kudos. Just choose ‘War and Peace’ over ‘Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging’, okay?

Isla McLachlan

Follow Impact Art on Facebook and Twitter.

ArtsArts Features