Live Review: Thurston Moore, Bodega, (12/11/14)

Last Wednesday, Thurston Moore culminated his most recent UK tour, where he played a pulsating, energetic, feedback drenched set to a sold out Bodega.

The solitary support act for the evening was Ride guitarist and vocalist, Mark Gardener, who played an acoustic set of solo material, along with some of the band’s back catalogue. What was most compelling was just how different the Ride tracks were, when they weren’t doused with pedal-heavy shoegaze. The greatest significance of Gardener’s set? Following ‘In a Different Place’, he stated he would be playing with a band next year. For anyone that hasn’t caught up by now: that band will be Ride.

Up next was the man everyone had been waiting for, Thurston Moore, along with his star studded live band, which featured My Bloody Valentine bassist, Debbie Googe and Sonic Youth drummer, Steve Shelley. Instead of a nostalgic set of Sonic Youth material, the emphasis of the gig was songs from his new album, The Best Day.

Instead of a nostalgic set of Sonic Youth material, the emphasis of the gig was songs from his new album, The Best Day.

After originally forgetting his lyric sheet for the lectern in front of him, Moore kicked off the show with ‘Forevermore’, a 10 minute song, filled with melodies, riffs, hooks, energy and intensity. The fast-paced tempo of the show continued with tracks ‘Speak to the Wild’ and ‘Germs Burn’ from his new album. This followed with Moore addressing the crowd, asking if anyone knows anything about space geology, and then went on to discuss the sci-fi film ‘Interstellar’.

What became most apparent is that Moore’s set was akin to a Sonic Youth show, without any Sonic Youth songs.

Self-titled track, ‘The Best Day’ was a break from the brutal, yet brilliant sound of feedback midway through the set. What became most apparent is that Moore’s set was akin to a Sonic Youth show, without any Sonic Youth songs.

Unexpectedly, the encore began with Moore saying, ‘I just met this guy in the gents.’ ‘This guy’ was a man who was on stage a second earlier, stood at Moore’s microphone, shouting ‘more’ repeatedly. The set concluded with ‘Psychic Hearts’ from his debut solo album, bringing the leg shakingly compelling noise of Thurston Moore and his band to a close.

Mike Winnington

Mike is listening to: Fat White Family – ‘Is It Raining In Your Mouth’

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter