The Full Monty @ Theatre Royal

As the title would suggest, Simon’s Beaufoy’s adaptation of his 1997 film is a bare all production – in every sense of the word. Hilarious and heart-warming, the comedy hits the stage in a larger than life way (in some cases quite literally!) and reduced myself and the rest of the audience to a giggling and, at times, cackling mess. Should we be looking for some hot stuff – maybe not. But for laughs and the most fun you can ever have at the theatre this show is definitely worth buying a ticket for!

Set in Sheffield, the play follows the story of Gaz (Gary Lucy), a cheeky but down on his luck steelworker who has been put out of his job during the Thatcherite Eighties. Joining him is his similarly unemployed best friend Dave (Martin Miller), a man whose weight issues and redundancy has knocked his confidence and left him feeling demasculated and lost. Inspired by the male stripper group the Chippendales coming to town, Gaz, threatened by the prospect of losing access to his son due to mounting child maintenance debts, decides that if the Chippendales can get their kit off for cash – why can’t he? While Gaz and his ragtag group of wannabe Magic Mikes may not be the most conventional of strippers, being a range of ages and sizes, they prepare to give their audience what the Chippendales did not – the full monty. And be prepared, as much as the Tom Jones track would suggest – they do not leave their hats on.

Hilarious and heart-warming, the comedy hits the stage in a larger than life way (in some cases quite literally!)

This production is quite honestly one of the funniest plays I have ever seen. The comedic timing and interplay between the actors had the audience in stitches from start to finish, despite the serious underlying themes of the play. Unemployment, poverty, body image and homosexuality are a few of the themes touched upon in this production, but through the brilliant scripting of Simon Beaufoy and the excellent performances throughout, these issues are turned on their head to create an upbeat and feel good atmosphere. The relationship between Gaz and Dave is one of the highlights, as the comedic interaction between the two provides the audience with both laughs and emotion as they prepare to face their insecurities and risk all. Each character brings their individual story and comedic quirks to the gang of six, stand out performances being Lomper (Bobby Schofield) and Gerald (Andrew Dunn). Gerald, a middle aged ex-foreman adapts his ballroom dancing moves to hip thrusting and bum shaking, while Lomper with his awkward naivety creates humour but also some sweeter more poignant moments. The performance of Fraser Kelly as Gaz’s son Nathan also deserves a mention as he performs brilliantly for one so young and along with Gary Lucy recreates a strong father-son bond.

The comedic timing and interplay between the actors had the audience in stitches from start to finish

The problem of how to adapt the film’s several locations to one stage is solved through the ingenious staging of the production. The clanking metal grimness of the steelworks is presented on stage in all its glory, yet by sliding doors and swift utilisation of props it also doubles well as other locations. This also offers all the sets an industrial, run down feel, emphasising the idea of a town that has been abandoned and forgotten. The downbeat ironic British humour is what defines The Full Monty, the attitude that the worse things are, the more jokes you make, but the set ultimately reminds the audience of the more serious heart of the play, without distracting from the comedy. The only problem with such an ambitious set is that it made for several rather clumsy scene changes, which was the only noticeable flaw in an otherwise excellent show.

The set ultimately reminds the audience of the more serious heart of the play, without distracting from the comedy

The big question everyone will be asking though – do they really go all the way in the final scene? For the answer I’m afraid you will just have to go and see this incredible play. 50 Shades of Grey has nothing on this – for all the laughs, leather thongs and cheeky nudity that you could wish for in two and a half hours, ditch the Savoy this week and head for Theatre Royal!

9/10

Scarlett White

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter for more