UoN graduate wins £50,000 investment on Dragons’ Den

University of Nottingham graduate Marc Wileman won a £50,000 investment when he appeared on BBC2’s Dragons’ Den in August.

Mr Wileman’s business, Sublime Science, aims to make science more exciting for children by running parties with fun experiments as well as hosting live shows, selling books, activity products, and workshops.

Mr Wileman told the Dragons, “Britain, the UK, England – we’ve got probably the richest history of incredible scientists. To have the opportunity to make science fun for children at that primary school age, it’s just a privilege to be able to do it”.

His pitch began by firing smoke rings at the five Dragons

He was looking for a £50,000 investment in exchange for a 10 per cent stake in the Leicester-based business.

His pitch began by firing smoke rings at the five entrepreneurs before getting the Dragons to make their own pot of colourful gooey slime in a cup.

Mr Wileman started the company six and a half years ago and has since brought his fresh take on science to more than 280,000 primary school children. Furthermore, Mr Wileman’s parties have proved to be very popular winning awards and over 1000 glowing reviews online.

“To have the opportunity to make science fun for children at that primary school age, it’s just a privilege to be able to do it”

When asked about the business’ turnover and profit Mr Wileman stated, “Next year’s turnover is expected to be £1 million and profit is £330,000.”

Dragon Peter Jones was incredibly impressed with Mr Wileman’s pitch. He said, commented, “I was expecting you not to give anything like those numbers and results. I am shocked”.

Moonpig.com founder Nick Jenkins was won over by Mr Wileman’s pitch, and offered him the full £50,000 for the 10 per cent stake in the business.

Dragons Sarah Willingham and Deborah Meaden both also offered Mr Wileman the cash for a 10 per cent stake. Mr Jones offered the cash but for a 20 per cent stake.

In the end, Mr Wileman agreed an offer with Dragons Nick Jenkins and Sarah Willingham, who joined together and jointly offered the £50,000 for a ten per cent stake in the business.

Hannah Eves

Image: Leicester Mercury

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter