Live Review: The Duke Spirit, Bodega, 18/10/2016

As the gig came to an end for the second time, after performing the encore ‘Love Is An Unfamiliar Name’ the band slid offstage into the nooks of Bodega, beaming. They had done their job, and they’ve still got it.

For this was not a comeback per se, but a recollection, a mini-rejoicing for avid fans of the scene, for life had inevitably dragged apart their favourite instruments. But here they were, re-ignited after half a decade of hiatus, The Duke Spirit, complete and firmly unified behind front woman Leila Moss.”It’s been ages since they have played anywhere”, remarked a fan. But you could not tell.

“In the intermission, the ambience shifted and began to swell”

Rewind an hour back as Joe Gideon’s beautifully intelligent set draws to a close. With every vying word sung, and the sweet finishing chord strung, the audience was released from the trance in which they were mesmerised. As Moss stated, Gideon’s Versa Vice is an “unexpected treasure”, that is well worth a listen.

In the intermission, the ambience shifted and began to swell. The crowd flocked as time drew nearer to the main attraction. Feet shuffling to sweet viewing spots, eyes eager, hands clasped together. Anxious, almost. Everyone was waiting for a return that I was so ignorant of.

I scanned the audience. My eyes shifted amongst the crowd: a mature group, men and women swaying in the darkness with now-loosened shirt buttons, hair released from busy office hours, donning old band tees and ready to rock out. Spotted were a few fresh faced millennials, who probably like me, just recently discovered The Duke Spirit, through their album, Kin, released in May, unaware of their beloved status or following. Or perhaps that’s just me being presumptuous.

“The heavy downpour of distorted guitars and thumping bass were stripped back to the ring of piano keys”

My attention jolted back to the stage when the crowd started to cheer for something. I followed their gaze as the doors slipped open and shadows, like ants, walked onto the stage. The proscenium lights flicked on and the distinctive rock sound of Atlantic Soul flooded Bodega’s intimate walls. Leila (armed with her little tambourine) and the band shook up the stage with performances of Unkle’s ‘Mayday’ (on which the band feature) and ‘Blue and Yellow Light’; setting the tone (and colour) for the whole show.

The most memorable moment of the night – apart from taking a selfie with Miss Moss backstage – was when ‘Wounded Wing’ was played. The heavy downpour of distorted guitars and thumping bass were stripped back to the ring of piano keys. Moss’s powerful coffee-vocals cut through, and it soared, a cathartic release for the crowd. In contrast to her Courtney Love stage persona, this song really showed off the raw talent and musicality of Moss and the band. The Duke Spirit seem ready and set to take back the reigns of touring, and I for one am glad to be a part of this re-ignition.

Tony Nguyen

Image courtesy of Tony Nguyen

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.