Football

Dortmund’s early season hopes are vanishing as Bayern are on the comeback

With Jupp Heynckes revolutionising Bayern’s fortunes it’s hard to see the Bundesliga crown going in any other direction than towards the Allianz Arena. After a disappointing night for Dortmund at the Signal Iduna Park, a convincing win for Bayern might prove to be prophetic for this season’s Bundesliga title race.

The return of Raphael Guerreiro and Marco Reus should have been a good omen for Bosz and his men, however these returns from injury did not help at all as Bayern went 6 points clear ahead of Dortmund in the standings. Throughout the entirety of the match, Dortmund proved to be flat and toothless and so were clearly no match for Bayern’s high intensity tempo.

“Dortmund’s lacklustre display is palpable to the club’s higher echelons”

The home sides’ defending also left a lot to be desired, which is not the first time that this criticism was levelled at the Ruhr side. Michael Zorc, Dortmund’s sporting director even admitted that ‘we weren’t close enough to our opponents’, which clearly shows that Dortmund’s lacklustre display is palpable to the club’s higher echelons. It’s also very hard to see a way out at this present time for Bosz and his men, even with the international break providing much needed time for regrouping. With only one win in seven games (coming only at the expense of a third-tier side) it seems as if the black hole Dortmund find themselves in will only get bigger.

Bayern on the other hand found themselves in stellar form for this game, with Arjen Robben at his scintillating best and opening the scoring on 16 minutes. It’s amazing how for a player soon turning 34 years old he still displays the youthful zeal of a 24-year-old. Bayern’s talismanic forward Robert Lewandowski added a second for the away side before half-time, and David Alaba made sure of victory in the second half, before Marc Batra’s late consolation for Dortmund. 

Needless to say Bayern are also really benefitting from the return of their veteran manager Jupp Heynckes, who has completely turned the ship around at the Allianz Arena. His relationship with Arjen Robben has also greatly improved from his last stint at the club, and this is without question paying dividends on the pitch.

“It’s hard to see the black and yellows overtaking them”

‘Football’s always fun when you win’ said Bayern’s Goalkeeper Sven Ulreich. This is definitely not something that Dortmund will be feeling for a long time should things carry on as they are. With Bayern’s return to form and their winning experience in abundance it’s hard to see the black and yellows overtaking them any time soon.

Tito Domenico Simonelli

Featured image courtesy of Achim Hepp via Flickr

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more updates and information on how to get involved.

FootballSport