Arts Reviews

Stone Foundation @ The Glee Club

Soul seven-some Stone Foundation returned to Nottingham’s Glee Club at the start of the month and brought it to life with their toe-tapping, feel-good tunes. Greeted by a keen audience, lead singer and guitarist Neil Jones promised “we’re gonna have a crack tonight”, and they delivered.

Supported by singer-songwriter Sammy Jones, the simplicity of his voice and an acoustic guitar was a great warm-up for the night ahead. He won the crowd over with his cool, effortless charm, treating us to tracks like ‘It’s About Time’.

“Throughout their performance, there was banter and casual, unfiltered chat between the band”

Then it was time for the main event. Opening with the first song from their new album Everybody, Anyone, ‘Sweet Forgiveness’, they started the night how they meant to go on. Immediately the chemistry between the band members became obvious, along with their charisma and ability to make the audience feel at home, giving the crowd a warm welcome and encouraging them to get involved from the start. Throughout their performance, there was banter and casual, unfiltered chat between the band and the audience, providing us with funny anecdotes. Therefore, Stone Foundation’s stage presence should definitely be commended.

“I agree that the venue suited them well”

Having so many bodies working together on a small stage was no easy task, however the band managed to pull it off. Neil expressed how they love playing at The Glee Club because it’s so intimate, and I must say I agree that the venue suited them well. It’s cosy, but big enough to house a sizeable audience with room to have a boogie.

“The sound blended together seamlessly”

After more than 20 years since the band was formed, Stone Foundation have clearly perfected their craft as musicians. Using a vast range of instruments including guitar, bass, drums, piano, saxophone, trumpet and chimes, the sound blended together seamlessly. A personal favourite of mine was ‘Next Time Around’, a very catchy, lively and vibrant soul track. This song contrasted with more stripped-back, heartfelt numbers like ‘Don’t Walk Away’, allowing the audience to hear Neil’s strong vocals.

“Groovy vibes all around if you ask me”

One of the things most noticeable about the band is the timeless quality of their music and their ability to cater for an audience of many different ages and tastes. Even my 84-year-old Nan and her 87-year-old boyfriend came along for the ride and had a wonderful time. Groovy vibes all around if you ask me.

As well as the regular band members, Stone Foundation were accompanied by the very talented Shona as their backing singer. Singing a verse in ‘A Season of Change’, she was able to showcase her huge vocal range, assisted by the soaring brass instruments. My only criticism is that I would have liked to hear more from her.

Stone Foundation’s skill to entertain is undeniable. Managing to sustain their energy over a set lasting an hour and a half, each musician had their time to shine. Overall, it was a night of fun, good music and good company, even if my Mom and Uncle’s dancing were a sore sight.

9/10

Sophie Hunt

Images courtesy of Sophie Hunt. 

For more reviews follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter.

Arts ReviewsReviews