Happening On Campus

Sustainability Week 2019

This year’s Sustainability Week is taking place between 25th and 29th March 2019, organised by Activities Officer Katie Clubb, Sustainability society and the Environmental Social Justice Officer Bonni Jee.

As we reach the middle of Sustainability Week it’s important to remember what it stands for. Sustainabilitity Week aims to raise awareness about environmental and social issues on a range of topics. To empower students and staff to make small changes in their life that have a big impact on the planet and its people. It also seeks to get students and staff’s input into creating a sustainability strategy for the Students’ Union.

The programme is the biggest the campus has ever seen, with over 45 events ranging from guest speakers, tours, workshops, film screenings and much more!

A diverse range student groups across the Union are keen to show their commitment and passion to the Students’ Union’s goal of becoming more sustainable, shown also through high participation of groups engaging in the Student Group Green scheme introduced by Katie this year.

There is a range of stakeholders involved in sustainability week too – alumni such as Police and Crime Commissioner Paddy Tipping, University academics such as Dr. Robert Lambert and local community interest companies and networks across Nottingham – The Nottingham Goodfood partnership, Foodprint and The Urban Worm to name just a few.

A wide range of issues will be covered from environmental racism, plastic pollution, careers in sustainability, the impact of the fashion industry as the world’s second largest polluter, environmental law, green engineering, and implications of the meat industry.

The organisers have made sure there is something for everyone in order to unite the University of Nottingham Community in a common goal of stand up for the planet. The week concludes with a finale Earth Hour celebration on Saturday evening, as part of a worldwide movement organised by WWF.

How can you get involved?

• Have a look at the full timetable of events and set aside some time in your week to get involved in the events taking place.
  • Share the Sustainability Week 2019 Facebook event on social media platforms.
  • Invest in a keep cup for your coffee- if you do slip up and use a disposable coffee cup, save it for an installation Bonni is organising to be made on Friday 29th in preparation for the Earth
  • Eat meat-free on Monday with 20% off meat-free meals in Mooch burger bar and try the 2 new vegan additions for sustainability week.
  • Show your support for a more sustainable world by wearing something green for “On Wednesday’s we wear green”.
  • Finally, share your suggestions for the student’s union sustainability strategy here

“I am now passionate to use my position in the Student’s Union to create long-lasting positive change in the institution”

When we asked Activities Officer Katie Clubb about her motivations for the week, she said “I developed my passion for Sustainability through my undergraduate degree here in Business Management, where I focused on business ethics and sustainability modules. I am now passionate to use my position in the Students’ Union to create long-lasting positive change in the institution and to help shape students into positive leaders of the future and stewards of the planet and its people”.

So get involved by following the events page here and #Thinkglobalactlocal.

Marvel Kalu

Featured image courtesy of SU Activities Officer 18/19 Katie Clubb 

Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter.

Happening On CampusHappening on CampusNews