Humans and Health

The Importance of Endometriosis Awareness Month

EAM
Yasmin Azizbayli

March is not only a month of endometriosis awareness but also a month of educating people and spreading their knowledge about a disease that is often very hard to detect. Endometriosis is a global problem that afflicts both men and women, causing chronic pain that can prevent daily activities. In this article for Endometriosis Awareness Month, Yasmin examines what endometriosis is, its different types, and some forms of diagnosis and treatment…

Understanding Endometriosis

Endometriosis is one of the most intractable conditions in gynaecology, diagnosed when uterine tissue is located outside of the uterus. The ectopic tissue found in the pelvic organs consists of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, bladder and the intestine. When one has endometriosis, the hormone imbalances associated with menstruation lead to inflammation, adhesions, and severe pain. However, the symptoms of this disease frequently occur along with other sicknesses, and thus, a prompt and exact diagnosis becomes problematic. Management of the disease may include pain control, hormone treatment and surgery if the problem is severe. As a result of advancing knowledge and research, diagnosis and treatment options have developed. Patients live longer now, and the quality of their lives is getting better.

Types and Symptoms

Endometriosis can present in various forms, each with different symptoms. Ovarian endometriosis is usually manifested as menstrual cysts, and bladder endometriosis appears to be very similar to urinary tract infections (UTIs). Thoracic endometriosis, known as lung endometriosis or chest type, causes chest pain and breathing difficulties. Intestinal endometriosis prohibits normal feeding, which is accompanied by severe abdominal pains. In addition to numerous presentations, pain remains a common  symptom that is variable in intensity across all endometriosis types. This multidimensional peculiarity is the main reason why personalised treatment plans are created, because they target specific symptoms and lead to improved quality of life for people diagnosed with this chronic disease.

Diagnosis

It is difficult to diagnose endometriosis since some other conditions have comparable symptoms, and knowledge of the condition is limited. Doctors can choose from MRIs, pelvic examinations, and ultrasounds, among other methods, to analyse the presence of the disease. On the other hand, laparoscopy is the diagnostic standard method. This minimally invasive surgical technique offers direct visualisation of endometrial implants, which confirms that the patient in question has endometriosis. Besides this, laparoscopy helps to take out tissues for histological analysis, and as a result, a highly precise diagnosis can be made. Incorporating the complexity of early and accurate diagnosis into the equation, the best management strategies can then be initiated to ease the burden of the symptoms for patients with this illness.

Treatment Options

The main focus of treatment for endometriosis is pain reduction, leading to an improvement in the quality of life and, in some cases, enabling successful family planning. Pain management can entail the use of analgesics (painkillers) and hormone-based medicines, the purpose being to provide symptom relief. Hormone therapy leads to a decrease in the size of endometrial tumours and a significant suppression of menstrual pain. Severe cases may call for gynaecological surgery to excise implants and adhesions, which, in turn, helps alleviate pains and restoration of normal reproduction. In addition to this, meditation practices and complementary therapies like acupuncture, diet changes, etc. can support medical treatments.

March is Endometriosis Awareness Month, and we must take this opportunity to shed light on this complex condition. Through learning its symptoms, the diagnostic issues, and the treatment options, we can provide useful information to people who may be suffering from this condition. Let us work to amplify our voices, cultivate empathy, and advocate for improved research and care strategies! We can eliminate knowledge deficits, reduce stigma, and provide reassurance in the presence of endometriosis symptoms. Now is the time to start a dialogue, narrate stories, and mobilise for less ignorance and more funding – this can be done through partnerships, putting us on the path to more dedicated healthcare and giving hope to those who have the disease.

Yasmin Azizbayli

Featured image courtesy of Yasmin Azizbayli. Permission to use granted to Impact. No changes were made to this image.

For more content including Uni News, Reviews, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

If you just can’t get enough of Lifestyle, like our Facebook as a reader or contributor

Humans and HealthLifestyleScience