• Forest Green Rovers: World’s First Carbon Neutral Football Club

    Joe Holmes-Milner What do a Chilean biofactory, a mangrove conservation project in Sri Lanka, and a football club from Gloucestershire have in common? No, this is not the set-up to an awful joke. The answer is that they have all won a United Nations ‘Momentum for Change’ climate action...
  • Is Sustainability Middle-Class?

    Thanks to Greta Thunberg, raging wildfires and a few well-timed David Attenborough documentaries, the climate message is finally getting through. While we can all agree there is still a long (long) way to go, I am optimistic....
  • Sustainable Fashion Brands That Won’t Break The Bank

    Hannah Sutton Sustainability can occur at all levels within fashion, from the products manufacturing to recycling and reusing schemes (like Depop). There is no current accepted definition of ‘sustainable fashion’, but Green Strategy defines it as manufacturing, marketing and using clothes in the must sustainable way possible. This can...
  • Pictorial representation of planet earth surrounded by thousands of satellites in low earth orbit

    Practising The Clean-Up Of Space

    Christina Giallombardo Looking up at the night sky with the naked eye and seeing nothing but darkness and a few stars, it’s hard to imagine the sheer volume of space debris (also known as space junk) orbiting the Earth. The space junkyard gives us a glimpse back in time....
  • Coloured circles of different sizes make up the symbol pi against a purple background

    Infinitely Irrational: A Slice of Pi

    Adam Goriparthi Amidst the chaos, it’s time to appreciate everyone’s favourite mathematical constant: pi. Apt for Pi-sces month, March 14th (3/14, in the US date format) marks another Pi Day—named for the first 3 digits of the number (sadly not in the British calendar format). Pi is something non-mathematicians...
  • A hedgerow with many colourful flowers grows next to a winding country road

    The Humble Hedge And The UK’s Net Zero Target

    Lucy Woodward They might not seem like the Bahamas to you or me, but Britain’s hedgerows are something of a paradise for a plethora of species that live there, and they play a surprisingly important role in carbon storage, too. A humble hedgerow can easily support over 3,000 different...
  • CT image of a fish showing it's skeleton. A smaller creature (green) is shown within its stomach cavity

    What Does It Take To Live At The Bottom Of The Ocean?

    Nila Varman The ocean, despite its size and resourcefulness, remains a mystery to humankind. It’s hard to fathom that only around 5% percent of our oceans have been explored and charted, leaving around 95% of it unexplored and unfamiliar. Initially perceived to be devoid of life forms, the pitch-dark,...