Happening On Campus

Manifesto Reviews- Part-Time Officers: LGBT+ Officer Candidates

Hannah Walton-Hughes

A group of Impact Magazine writers have looked over the candidate manifestos for this year’s Student Union Elections. Harry Chapman, Katie Sullivan, Emma Burnett, Oli Harris, and Hannah Walton-Hughes summarised and discussed each candidate’s main manifesto points, and gave their views on the manifesto overall. Voting closes on 15th March 2024 at 2pm. 

Anna Perevoznikova: 

“I want to be able to work alongside the university to provide support to queer students, keep the university environment queer friendly and act upon feedback to provide change in the university environment, if need be.” 

Part of Anna’s manifesto focuses on educating people about “queer and intersectional history”, particularly during Pride Month, LGBTQ+ Month, and AIDS Awareness Week. “Hosting talks by queer writers, thinkers and students would create a safe space for the queer community.” 

She aims to raise money on campus for charities such as Mermaids

Anna also wants to bring significant focus onto how “poorly”, in her view, the medical system treats queer people, particularly trans and non-binary people. She aims to raise money on campus for charities such as Mermaids, through events such as bake sales, movie nights of “acclaimed films about LGBTQ+ people” and painting workshops. Anna would plan to charge up to £2 for taking part in these events, but perhaps slightly more for higher-cost initiatives. 

In terms of experience she could bring to the role, Anna describes herself as “part of the LGBTQ+ community […] who has been challenged by heteronormative standards and faced demeaning and hateful comments from fellow students”. She wants to “have the power to make change in the university environment, with the help of student feedback.”  

Anna used to live in Russia, and at her college she was a member of the LGBTQ+ society, where she hosted talks such as “The History of Lesbian Fashion”. She attended a Christian college that imposed compulsory chapel, but Anna also hosted a non-religious service, where students of all faiths and non could practice meditation and mindfulness.  

She describes herself as working well in a team

From these experiences, Anna feels that she has developed good public speaking skills, and experience in hosting talks and events. She describes herself as working well in a team, and enjoys listening to everyone’s thoughts and ideas. 

This is a very genuine manifesto from a candidate who clearly fully understands the experience of being in this community. Hosting speakers on campus to speak about queer history would be both practical and important. 

A very good manifesto overall; it would be have been helpful to have a clearer structure to follow. I would also like to hear more about how Anna would work with the SU and University to achieve her important goals. 

Full officer manifestos can be read on the UoNSU website.

Hannah Walton-Hughes

Featured image courtesy of Korng Sok via Unsplash. Image license found here. No changes were made to this image.

For more content including Uni News, Reviews, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

To keep up to date with all the latest Impact News, you can also follow us on the Impact News’ FacebookInstagram and Twitter page.

Happening On CampusNewsSU Elections