Music Reviews

Live Review: Jack Garratt, Rock City (16/11/2016)

People were seeking respite from the cold night and a tremendously talented musician was in town. Plus, it was Ocean Wednesday for Trent. The crowd were definitely ready to have a good time at Rock City on Wednesday night.

Admittedly, I was a bit apprehensive before Garratt entered the stage. How would he present his songs to an eager audience? Would he be lost behind layers of music complexities? Would he be able convince the crowd to pay attention to a solitary figure on stage?

“Always the people pleaser, Jack eventually delighted the crowd with his take on ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’, as well as Craig David and JT.”

However, all of these questions were soon dismissed when Garratt stepped onto the stage. His joy and charisma infected the whole of the room in an instant.

I was surprised, not only by the energy brought to his performances, but the energy that he was able to pass onto the crowd. People were dancing one minute and echoing a chorus the next. From the dance evoking ‘Far Cry’ and the uplifting anthem ‘Surprise Yourself’, to the acoustic ‘Weathered’; the crowd left the venue having experienced almost every emotion possible to display.

Garratt made a beautiful speech about equality and acceptance following the recent state of affairs. The audience were united by music and the wise words of this wonderful musician.

Not only did Garratt manage to blow the audience away with his raw musical talent, he did so with passion and between-song banter. He added a sense of comedy to the set, teasing the crowd by playing a number of cheesy intros by the Spice Girls and Britney, cutting them off in their prime. Always the people pleaser, Jack eventually delighted the crowd with his take on ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’, as well as Craig David and JT. What a guy.

“Rock City was transformed into a palpable scene of life and vivacity”

Garratt’s passion was clear through his emotional expression and the fact that he seemed deeply touched by the liveliness of the audience. Even in overtly upbeat songs such as ‘Worry’, it was clear that the lyrics had an emotional resonance. It was mesmerising to watch Garratt convey their inner meanings through brief actions and facial expressions. 

All of these elements, combined with a spectacular light show, meant that Rock City was transformed into a palpable scene of life and vivacity. Although Jack Garratt may only be one man, he doesn’t let numbers get him down. He was able to put on a show as if he were accompanied by a five piece band. Give the man a stage and he’ll certainly show you a good time.

Lucy Robinson

Image courtesy of Island Records.

Follow Impact Music on Facebook, InstagramTwitter and Spotify.

Music ReviewsReviews