Trailer Watch – Cake

In a departure from the more dolled up, comedy-filled roles that audiences are used to seeing her in, Jennifer Aniston stars in this serious drama about addiction and its impact on the people around them.

Aniston plays Claire Simmons, a woman with chronic pain who is completely reliant on the drugs that ease it. When a woman in her self-help group, Nina (played by Anna Kendrick) commits suicide, Claire is haunted by her ghost and so goes in search of Nina’s husband to uncover more.

From the trailer it appears that the film has done a wonderful job in creating these flawed characters. It does not leave one character to be the “good guy” or the “bad guy” but makes each one a blurred mixture of the two. Although these are heavy, serious topics being raised, there’s dark comedy running throughout and the music in the trailer is disconcertingly uplifting, depicting the film as one of contrasts.

There’s a mild Oscar buzz surrounding this film, particularly for Aniston, and although some critics are sitting on the fence, the standing ovation it received at the Toronto Film Festival indicates that Cake is a film is one to watch out for.

Cake will be released on February 20th 2015.

Abigail Houseman

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Let us know your thoughts on this trailer via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment.