University of Nottingham BUCS preview: week three

The University of Nottingham is only 154 points away from catching Durham in the top spot going into the third week of the season.

The Green and Gold slipped into third place on 1900.5 points after two weeks at the top of the BUCS rankings. However, the university will be in with a chance of returning to the summit providing that it maintains or surpasses its impressive 60 per cent win rate.

It has certainly been an impressive start to the campaign for Lauren Heria’s Green and Gold, with 152 wins out of a possible 253 thus far. The Students’ Union Sports Officer said, “this time last year we were on 1600 points so we’re a fair way ahead of the game already”.

She continued, “if I was to put the success down to a few things – the promoted teams showing they’re capable of competing in higher divisions, the increase in the number of teams to 119 and the sports scholars which again have increased in number this term”.

It will be interesting to see if UoN can continue their success and bounce back to the top of the rankings this Wednesday. There are a myriad of mouthwatering fixtures all across University Park for you to go and watch and cheer on the Green and Gold.

The Badminton men’s firsts and women’s thirds are both in action at the David Ross Sports Village from 4-7pm in two titanic clashes against Durham and Trent 1sts.

You can go and see if our women’s Basketball team can make it two wins on the bounce after their 85-58 triumph over Loughborough last week; they face Worcester firsts in the DRSV from 5pm.

Our Fencing teams will all be in action at David Ross, while you can see if the men’s Football firsts can continue their unbeaten start to the season against Warwick at Highfields Park. Meanwhile, the 2nd team face Trent seconds at the same location, both at 2pm.

The men’s fourths Hockey team are also in action against Trent on the Uni Park Sports centre astro turf, whilst you can see if our men’s Lacrosse seconds can beat Birmingham after their 8-7 win versus Oxford Brookes in their previous match at 5pm on Jubilee Campus.

Our Netball women’s seconds, thirds and fourths are playing at Jubilee from 1-7pm while the first team take on Trent firsts in a tasty clash at the David Ross Sports Centre at 7:30pm.

Go and see if our Rugby Union first XV can comeback from their defeat to Nottingham Trent last week in their game against Leeds at Highfields at 2pm.

Table Tennis and Squash will be in action at the David Ross Sports Village all afternoon, whilst our Tennis sides will be in action at the Nottingham Tennis Centre just across University Boulevard on the south side of campus.

With such an array of fantastic fixtures this week, it would be rude not to go and support the Green and Gold somewhere on University Park. Head on down and show your support for our brilliant sports teams to see if they can keep up the scarily impressive form so far this year.

Joe Tanner

Image: University of Nottingham via Flickr

Video courtesy of youtube.com

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and like Impact Sport on Facebook