Style

The Best and The Worst: Celebrity Style MTV VMA’s 2014

This week, Impact Style brings you a special edition of ‘The Best and The Worst’ focusing on the MTV Video Music Awards, which were held at The Forum in California on the 24th of August.

The Best: Iggy Azalea

iggy

Iggy Azalea takes the title of the best-dressed celebrity this week, in her beautiful silver Versace gown. The dress, featuring a complicated cut-out design, hugs every single one of Iggy’s infamous curves and perfectly compliments her figure. Paired with slicked back hair and a simple diamond studded chain necklace, Iggy looks daring yet demure in her red-carpet ensemble. Also, if Hollywood execs are ever searching for someone to take on the role of Elsa in an acted version of Frozen, they know where to look. A rapping ice princess? We love the idea already!

Demi Lovato

demi

Demi brings some heat to the red carpet in this flaming red Lavin plunging v-neck, thigh slit gown. Showcasing a different side to the star, Demi oozes sex appeal at the VMA’s this year. Her side-parted hairstyle and bold red lip add an extra edge to the outfit, well done Demi.

Kendall Jenner

kendall 1

Sleek, simple and sophisticated: Kendall Jenner looks far classier and more mature than some of her older counterparts at the VMA Awards. The sheer top with an exposed black bra and high-waisted flared trousers exemplify understated chic.

Jennifer Lopez

jennifer 1

Jennifer Lopez certainly attracts attention in this shimmering Charbel Zoe number. Known for her adventurous red-carpet choices, and this sparkly, complicatedly cut gunmetal gown, which also features a thigh slit, is typical J-Lo. Paired with simple loose hair and glowing makeup, her outfit captures the essence of outrageous associated with the VMA’s without being distasteful.

Gwen Stefani

gwen

Our girl Gwen is back and looking better than ever. The hot-pink and black colour combination is a nod back to her punkier side that we all know and love, however Gwen looks far from teenage rebellion in this gorgeous top and trouser set, with a corset-like bodice and nipped in waist. Her sleek, retro hairstyle and perfectly matched pink lipstick compliment her outfit, which is overall immaculately presented.

Solange Knowles

solange

At the VMA’s, turning up in an all-black trouser suit would be boring. Going braless in a plunging embellished blazer and matching trousers? Genius. Solange looks uber glamorous in this two-piece by H&M Studio.

This week’s worst dressed celebrity: Amber Rose

amber-3

We’re not even sure if this can be classed as being worst-dressed, because there is actually nothing that even mildly resembles clothing in this red-carpet ‘outfit’, if you can even call it that. It seems as though Amber Rose might have misinterpreted the phrase ‘less is more’ and taken minimalism to a whole new level. We appreciate that the VMA’s is all about experimentation but unfortunately Amber takes it slightly over the edge of appropriate and straight into the plain uncomfortable, and we’re not even the ones wearing it…

Katy Perry

Katy

Though she might have been paying tribute to Britney’s infamous all-denim dress worn at the VMA’s in 2001, this custom-made Versace dress still lands Katy Perry amongst the worst dressed celebrities of the night. The star should have predicted that her s0-called ‘ode’ to Brit’s former look would go down in pretty much the same fashion as the original. Disaster.

Ariana Grande

ariana

Ariana Grande attempts to shed her squeaky-clean image in this all-leather ensemble, which looks as though it might belong in 50 Shades of Grey. The black hardware-embellished Moschino mini, over-the-knee boots and a wine lip looks a little bit too try-hard.

Rita Ora

rita

One could argue that she might be attempting a look along the lines of a modern-day Marylin Monroe, but something definitely isn’t working for the blonde bombshell in her lingerie-inspired Donna Karan Atelier gown. The thigh slit is more of a crotch slit, and we can’t help but feel that a slight gust of wind would have had potentially catastrophic consequences for the star.

Taylor Swift

taylor

Taylor Swift looks virtually unrecogniseable at the VMA’s this year. The leotard-esque Mary Katrantzou romper features a bizarre alphabet soup-like letter print which is far from Taylor’s traditionally girly and glamorous red-carpet style. Paired with some odd burgundy open-toed heels and a shaggy bob, Taylor, who features regularly on our best-dressed lists, sadly misses the mark with this one.

Tara Bell

Follow Impact Style on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Images: Getty, Gilbert Flores, Broadimage, Jason Meritt, Adam Orchon, Sipa, Kevin Mazur, WireImage, Jeff Kravitz, FilmMagic

Style
  • agent_agnes
    27 August 2014 at 18:44