Guide: Theatres in Nottingham

Whether you’re a fresher arriving in Nottingham for the first time or a returning student on the last year of your degree, there are always new arty things to discover in Notts. Nottingham is home to six incredibly varied and exciting arts theatres, and Impact Arts is here to give you the low down on all of them.

Nottingham New Theatre

UoN’s very own student run theatre company, Nottingham New Theatre, is located on campus next to the Portland Building. Offering countless opportunities to get involved, from acting to directing, to backstage to set design, to front of house, NNT is your gate-way into the exciting semi-professional world of student theatre. They put on seven productions each term, as well as a Fringe Season which sees UoN student writers take their own work to the stage. You will undoubtedly see many posters around campus throughout the year advertising their shows, make sure not to miss your opportunity to get involved, or maybe just go see a show.

For more information see here

Theatre Royal and Concert Hall

Located just off Market Square, Theatre Royal is Nottingham’s largest and grandest theatre and plays host to some of the biggest touring shows in the country. With a variety of acts performing this year, from Shrek the musical to comedy legends Ross Noble and Dawn French, a trip to the Theatre Royal is a must on your uni bucket list.

For more information see here

HDRtist HDR Rendering - http://www.ohanaware.com/hdrtist/

Nottingham Playhouse

Nottingham Playhouse is renowned for creating their own pieces of theatre in-house and have their own full production team. Located in town, the Playhouse has a full season of live theatre catering for all audiences, from family plays to national comedy acts. This year the Playhouse opens its doors to students and young people who are interested in the world of performing, with an open day on Saturday 27th September. Go along and take a peek behind the scenes at one of Nottingham’s best theatres.

For more information see here

Lakeside Arts Centre

Located by the lake on campus, Lakeside Arts Centre is campus’ very own art gallery come theatre. Offering a variety of art exhibitions and theatre performances for very little if not for free, Lakeside is a brilliant day out for the budding art enthusiast. Lakeside also boasts a very tasty café which does some fantastic ice creams in summer.

For more information see here

Nottingham Contemporary

Located in the Lace Market District, Nottingham Contemporary is a completely free arts gallery which showcases both local and national artists. Contemporary also holds monthly socials where young people can come and meet with the artists and engage in the work the gallery does with the arts. A great day out for all, Contemporary will never fail to amaze and surprise you.

For more information see here 

nottingham-arts-theatre9091

Nottingham Arts Theatre

The Arts Theatre is located in the Hockley area of town and plays host to many local theatre productions including UoN’s very own musical theatre society, Musicality. With a varied and exciting season each year, Nottingham Arts Theatre is definitely one to visit. Tickets are incredibly cheap and you are almost guaranteed a good performance.

For more information see here

Emma Lawton

Follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter.

ArtsArts Features
  • Jayne McCormack
    9 October 2014 at 19:32