PROCRASTIBAKE: Oreo cupcakes!

It’s that time of year: deadline after deadline after…deadline. Why not spend your next study break whipping up these cupcakes, they take less than an hour! Plus the main ingredient is the sacred Oreo biscuit – you’ll be the envy of the silent section.

Preparation: 20 minutes

Cooking: 20 minutes

Serves: 8-12

Ingredients

For the cupcakes:

• 200g plain flour
  • 40g cocoa powder
  • 280g caster sugar
  • 80g butter
  • 3 tbsp of Baking Powder
  • 240ml whole milk
  • 2 eggs
  • splash of vanilla essence
  • 12 halves of Oreos
  • 12 cupcake cases

For the icing:

• 100g butter
  • 160g cream cheese
  • 350g icing sugar
  • 3 Oreos (+ more for the “finishing touch”, optional.)
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 170 C, put half an Oreo in each case and then place in the muffin tray. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder into a bowl, then melt the butter slightly and add; mix until consistency is even.
  2. Whisk eggs together then add milk and vanilla essence. Add this to the other mix slowly until the consistency is smooth.
  3. Add the mix into the cases, leave some room for them to rise. Stick in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
  4. While you’re waiting for the cupcakes to bake, smash 3 Oreos in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Sift the icing sugar and add the slightly warmed butter and cream cheese, then add the Oreo crumbs. Combine until everything is mixed.
  5. When cupcakes are baked, take them out of the oven and wait until they’re cool. Put icing mix into a piping bag, add a star nozzle on the end, then decorate the cupcakes with your piping bag.
  6. Top the cupcakes with any remaining Oreos and a sprinkle of cocoa powder if desired.
  7. TUCK IN!

Isabel Jury

Image credit: Isabel Jury

Recipe adapted from – http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/1871966/recipe/oreo-cupcakes