Live Review: Black Honey, Rescue Rooms Red Room (3/2/15)

Brighton four-piece Black Honey kick their UK tour off in Nottingham with unsurpassable confidence and songs that speak to every dissatisfied 20 something living in Britain today.

Aside from having the most fabulous hair in rock since Robert Smith, lead singer Izzy Bee is one of the most exciting singers on the indie rock scene at the moment. Her sporadic and haunting screaming works an absolute treat alongside the band’s ethereal sound. It’s also just simply a joy to see a woman holding a guitar. Even in 2015 the amount of female guitar icons the media offers is disappointing to say the least (NB. NME take note please and thank you). Black Honey have the kind of sound to suggest they would have probably jumped on the B-town train with Peace, Swim Deep and Superfood if they’d just been in the right city. Not only do they sound like they should be on the same scene but they sound like they should be as popular as them, if not more popular.

If nothing else it’s comforting to see someone so confident sing about such a baffling and sometimes pretty crap period in your life

‘Teenager’ (the standout track on the EP and of their set) perfectly encapsulates that awkward time between adolescence and your mid-20s. You’re not old enough to be totally together and this is probably because darlin’ you ain’t totally together. Immaturity still reigns forth and you can’t be arsed to do anything about it. People call you a teenager and mentally anyway, you still are one. If nothing else it’s comforting to see someone so confident sing about such a baffling and sometimes pretty crap period in your life.

The band only give out their EPs at gigs which means you have even more reason to get your teenaged arse down to one

Black Honey are a hidden gem in Britain’s music scene right now. The band only give out their EPs at gigs which means you have even more reason to get your teenaged arse down to one and bag a release from this up and coming and actually really bloody friendly band, despite the climatic guitar smashing (RIP Izzy’s guitar).

Liv Clark

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter