Varsity Preview: Men’s and Women’s Basketball

With Varsity on the horizon, Impact Sport caught up with the men’s and women’s basketball captains to discuss how things are shaping up. 

Men’s Basketball

How are preparations for Varsity going?
Well we finished the season on a high, finished solid in the standings. We’ve got our training camp coming up in about two weeks, two to three weeks in about mid-April. So we’re all doing our homework in the gym, booking our courts and doing our own thing because we’re all competing for a sport this year on the team. Team selection is a bit different to previous years so its going to be an all-out competition to see who gets the final twelve spots.

How many times a week do you get to train?
Well training for us is about two team practices, if not three team practices, plus an individual practice session so about four times a week. So pretty packed out, and then obviously strength and conditioning sessions when you can really.

What sort of history does UON have against Trent in basketball; do we have a good record against them?
It’s my second year here, so as far as I’m aware, we beat them pretty badly last year and then the year before I heard we came back and won again. Not really sure when the last time was when they beat us, but as far as I’m aware we’re on a winning record against Trent.

Are there any individuals we should keep an eye out for any star players?
Well we do have an American scholar who’s here, a guy by the name of Evan Carberry, pretty good player overall. Last Year, he was pretty much our best player, he actually injured his shoulder at the start of the year and missed the entire season so this year he has come back with a vengeance and as the season progressed he basically got better and better. Next thing you know he’s on top notch form.

What’s the tallest player on the team?
Oh, another guy’s name is Reginus, you should look out for him too. Tallest player on our team is probably about 6ft 6”.

Women’s Basketball

How are preparations for Varsity going?
Not bad I guess, pretty good.

Three times a week, plus games so that gives us some training as well.

What sort of history does Uni of have against Trent in basketball; do we have a good record against them?
We haven’t played them this year, they’re not in our league. Last year I think we were OK against them.

What about team selection, what sort of numbers do you have to choose from?
I think we have quite a solid team, we’ll see as it gets nearer the time, but I think we have a good set of individuals who are ready to play as a team and we’ve worked well all year.

How many Americans are there on the team?
Only one.

I’d have thought they’d have been a few more?
No not yet, maybe next year.

Are there any individuals we should keep an eye out for; any star players?
Yeah, here’s one! (Modestly point at each other). I think we all play really well as a team, and we have some really good shooters and we’re really solid in the post.

Dan Zeqiri

You can follow Dan on Twitter: @ZeqiriDan

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

Image courtesy of Impact Magazine