Movie Musings… German Expressionism

Are you a fan of The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity or The Shining? Ever wondered what the first horror movies were like? Many film critics consider the movement of German Expressionism to hold such a significance.

The movement’s importance within cinema derives from the intuitive work made in terms of addressing topical issues such as psychological problems faced by returning soldiers. Germany had suffered a great loss in the war through death and a severe economic struggle. This monetary defeat caused filmmakers to become more creative in their efforts as their budgets were extremely limited, much like many students. This creativity sparked the adoption of expressionism (a pre-existent art form in paintings) into film to eventually create the movement. This was a fresh venture into cinema as before this most films focused upon realism and the abstract themes of expressionism were unprecedented. Effectively, cinema was a depiction of real life and films would be pretty dull currently without an expressionist flare to influence them.

“This monetary defeat caused filmmakers to become more creative in their efforts as their budgets were extremely limited, much like many students.”

Although argued among critics, Robert Wiene’s The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) is considered a foundation for the cinematic movement. It depicts antagonist Dr. Caligari manipulating somnambulist Cesare to perform his homicidal desires upon an unsuspecting village. Despite looking like an Einstein cosplay, Caligari provides the film with a dark tone and the film itself creates a strong emphasis upon mental instability. Psychological issues are explored also through the set which warps around characters entrapping them physically and mentally. Many see such films from the movement to be pioneering in their use of psychological representation and this enhanced the fear.

This fear allowed for creativity to flourish and created some truly disturbing cinema. Many early expressionist films like Caligari and Nosferatu are seen to be pioneers of the horror movie genre. Nosferatu is an unauthorised depiction of Bram Stoker’s Dracula and its influence even found its way into an episode of Spongebob Squarepants – arguably its greatest impact upon modern day film and television. An example of German Expressionism’s inspiration can be seen in films like Insidious where emphasis within shots is placed on exaggerated, shadows of animalistic and claw-like hands. Shadows were crucial to expressionist films as they alluded to fears lurking in the darkness. Other features common in these films were tonal music that screeched out high pitched violin swipes coupled with an ominous drum beating.

“…cinema was a depiction of real life and films would be pretty dull currently without an expressionist flare to influence them.”

A final key feature seen in these films is the use of abstract movement. Characters who are physically/mentally disturbed will moved in an unnatural manner, contorting their bodies similar to an expressive dance piece or a circus freak show. This was reminiscent of the dance portion of the art movement and brought it to cinema for audiences to be dazed by the peculiar twirls and back-aching bends.

German Expressionism allowed for its parent nation to make a noteworthy impact on cinema, and its prestige and influence is still felt. The German government had banned importing films at the time of Expressionism and this meant once the ban was lifted there was a surge in expressionist cinema across the international community. Disturbing films about mental patients, murder and generally pretty bleak themes were commonplace. German Expressionism offered a variety of films that dealt with ideas regarding the human psyche whilst maintaining structured plots and a striking aesthetic and cemented itself as a key waypoint within cinematic history.

George Driscoll

For more Movie Musings, click here.

Get in touch with us via Facebook & Twitter, or leave a comment below.