Nottingham Celebrates D.H. Lawrence

This week sees the opening of the brand new D.H. Lawrence Festival of Culture – a month long event running until the 19th September promoting the area’s cultural heritage, local talent, and one of Nottingham’s most famous sons.

Based in and around the Eastwood area (around 20 minutes from University Park Campus), the programme with over 40 diverse events is being run collectively by D.H. Lawrence Heritage and a committee of local community groups, ensuring there is something to appeal to everyone.

Festival of Culture Logo

Highlights of the upcoming festival include heritage open days – where local heritage attractions (including those which influenced Lawrence’s works and the D.H. Lawrence Birthplace Museum and Heritage Centre), are opened to the public for free. Other highlights include: Phoenix Rising at the Nottingham Playhouse, a beer festival at Beauvale Priory, a comedy night, and the D.H. Lawrence Heritage’s new and exclusive exhibition; ‘No Right To Exist? The Rainbow and Other Books That Shocked.’ This controversial exhibition will be exploring books that have been banned, censored or suppressed, and asks if we are still offended by these works in today’s social climate – a must see for any Arts student!

For the faithful Lawrencians amongst you, there are also reading and discussion groups taking place, run by both the D.H. Lawrence Society, and the University of Nottingham’s own D.H. Lawrence Research Centre. The wide range of topics explored include ‘D.H. Lawrence and The Bible’, the lifestyle links between Lawrence and the author of the notorious A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess, and a study of D.H. Lawrence’s short story ‘Once’.

DH Lawrence Museum 1

The highlight of the Festival of Culture will be a day of celebrations on Friday 11th September to celebrate Lawrence’s 130th Birthday. With 2 for 1 entry at both the D.H. Lawrence Heritage Centre and Birthplace Museum, 10% discount in the gift shops and The Serpent Soiree, featuring live music and a poetry open mic in the evening, this is a birthday party not to be missed!

For those of you away on holiday or not yet back before term begins, there is the opportunity to get involved and support the Festival of Culture from wherever you are. Live Twitter discussions with the Museums and Collections Officer of D.H. Lawrence Heritage, the School of English’s  Dr. Andrew Harrison, and PhD Researcher Annalise Grice will be running in early September, giving a valuable professional insight into the museum, and Lawrence’s life and works.

For further information on events listings or a copy of the programme, please visit www.nottingham.ac.uk/dhlheritage,  or follow @DHLHeritage on Twitter using the hashtag #FestivalofCulture.

Amy Wilcockson

For more, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter