Style

Inspirations Of The Week

Five things that inspired us this week and determined the way we dressed

1. Man Repeller

man repeller

Man Repeller is hands down one of my favourite ‘fashion blogs’ – in need of a better word because it is so much more than just that. Ever wondered how you can channel your inner Salvador Dali at the French Riviera? Of course you have. And the wonderful Leandra Medine has put it into words for you here. In case you are still not sure what a ‘man repeller’ actually is and whether you are one: Take this useful quiz and find out for yourself.  ‘Man Repeller’ is one of those websites that all fashion lovers can get lost in, from useful life advice to the most fantastical inspiration ideas – this is the place to find them all.

2. La Dolce Vita

dolce and gabbana

If anyone knows how to honour a country it is Stefano Gabbana and Domenico Dolce. Their entire Spring Summer 16 collection is a tribute to their home – the beautiful, the magical Italia. There were prints, pompoms, beads, colours and so many references to Italy that the list would be too long to fit. All in all it was one of those collections that made you dream about holidays, about drinking coffee at the Pantheon and strolling along ancient ruins.

3. Twiggy’s 1960 style

twiggy vogue richard avedon

It all started with a pair of earrings I found in one of those obscure shops that seem to have everything, even a barber in the back. The earrings are 5 inch long, bright red, wooden oval hoops. They are fantastic! When I wear them I feel like Twiggy in the 60s – I put dramatic mascara on, paint my lips red and keep everything else as simple as possible. I have yet to venture in paintings on my face but it feels like the next logical step. Whenever I see a photo of Twiggy, I have to smile. Yes, a lot of people associate her with the start of the industry’s obsession with thin models but that would have happened with or without her. It seems more important to concentrate on the amazing things she brought to fashion – the hair, the eyes, the fun earrings.

4. THE kangaroo fur lined loafers

gucci loafers

I am yet to find a cheap alternative to this season’s ‘in’ shoe: Gucci’s kangaroo fur lined loafer sliders. There is something about these shoes that is chic yet comfortable, mainstream yet unique. Alone the juxtaposition of furry slippers – usually associated with long evenings at the fireplace – and street-style makes it worth having a pair. Fur – real or faux – are one of winter’s staples and instead of taking the obvious route with a vest or coat, invest in a furry pair of shoes and enjoy the double takes and confused yet bemused looks you will, inevitably, get.

5. Laura Callaghan Ilustrations

laura callaghan illustration

I recently came across Laura Callaghan’s illustrations and I was instantly drawn to the bright colours and seemingly simple scenes of women’s every day but there seems to be certain depth to the images – a bit like a ‘Where’s Waldo’, you can stare at the same image for a while and keep discovering yet another detail which tells you something about the character in the image. For example the posters on the wall, the crooked certificate, the broken lamp bulb, empty take away containers, the internet browser open on a job search website … you can start to imagine her life as a young graduate who is struggling to find a job. For more images go to her website.

Raphaela Ring

Credits: Alessandro Garofalo / Indigitalimages.com, Laura Callaghan, @Gucci/ Instagram, @Man Repeller/ Facebook, Richard Avedon for Vogue

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Style
  • Janine
    3 October 2015 at 18:40