Style

A short introduction to the Sari

In light of Diwali and the Ball that accompanied it (pun intended), Impact Style‘s Disha Daswaney talks about the Sari, its cultural heritage and how to wear it. 

12237950_10156505987380643_7448522354152630121_o

I clearly remember before a wedding function I would see my mum draping and pleating this massive piece of fabric – she would instantly transform this fabric with no dimension into the most elegant attire. It completely amazed me how one piece of fabric was capable of aiding this transformation. Every sari she wore was unique featuring an array of colours, prints, patterns and embroidery. I would always wait for the day when I would be old enough to wear a sari.

The sari is one of the oldest forms of clothing around the world. Saris are traditional attire in South East Asia, namely in: India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh. The notion of draping the body has been a part of Indian culture dating back for centuries, in order to demonstrate purity. The cultural significance behind showing the midriff is to demonstrate innovation and existence. It is one of the most diverse pieces of fabric as it can be draped in approximately eighty astonishing different ways.

In contemporary society, the sari is still known for its traditional significance, however it is more of a fashion statement than anything. A sari has the ability to drape and accentuate a woman’s curves in a dignified manner by slimming the waist, while simultaneously emphasizing the hips and bust.  There is always more focus on the actual cloth than the blouse because of the illusion the cloth creates. The heavier side of the sari filled with an array of embroidery is usually draped over the shoulders.

Despite the extravagant nature of the sari, accessories are truly what make the outfit. A sari is not complete without a matching clutch bag covered with elaborate detail. The most traditional look is to wear a bindi (a decorative sticker on the forehead), which is still carried out today. In terms of jewellery popular choices are bangles and chandelier earrings. In most cases women wear matching sets of costume or real jewellery, where the earrings and necklace are ornate and match perfectly. Some women choose to decorate their forehead further with a tikka (a pendant attached to a chain placed in the centre of the forehead).

The sari is one of a kind – it is one of the rare pieces of clothing that has withstood the test of time and still remains stylish today.  The sari still represents gracefulness and womankind around the world.

Disha Daswaney

Image: Credits to Tanvi Shah

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram 

Take a look at the beautiful Diwali Ball photos here!

Style